Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringworm

Options
  • 09-04-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Lads, Have a 10-month old weanling with bad bout of ringworm around the eyes - someone mentioned Stockholm Tar as a treatment - anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I can vouch for this stuff. Had ringworm on a pedigree bull. Not only did it kill the ringworm after 1 treatment but with 2 subsequent treatments over the next 3 weeks, the hair thickened up and regrew. One little tub will treat several animals.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/kill-ringworm-and-warts-in-days/5613242

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Thanks Reilig,
    I was thinking of this stuff (it's really thick - even more so than treacle).

Thanks Reilig,
    I was thinking of this stuff (it's really thick - even more so than treacle).

I know the stuff - never seen it used for ringworm. Vet recons that iodine sprayed on ringworm will clear it over a couple of weeks. It does, but it's slow to heal. Other than that, imaverol. But it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Thanks Reilig, I'll give the iodine a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks Reilig, I'll give the iodine a try.

We found iodine very successful... Slower than Imravol but very successful and easier on the pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Hang a bit if holly on the gate boss. Don't know for the life of me how it works but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Lads, Have a 10-month old weanling with bad bout of ringworm around the eyes - someone mentioned Stockholm Tar as a treatment - anyone have any experience of this?

Couple of sprays of iodine will sort it.

Hang a bit if holly on the gate boss. Don't know for the life of me how it works but it does.

Have been places where the owners swear that Holly works. Something to do with the fungus from the holly as it decays. Have holly in my own shed and it has kept them clear, but it doesn't stop them getting it outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

my calves have been getting ringworm for last few winters, last summer i painted the skulling gate i have in my calving pens, it was the only rusty item in the place and i kinda suspected thats where they were getting it from right or wrng..this winter not a trace of ringworm so i reckon it was the gate, also have bits of holly hanging in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

Holly does the trick just hang it up a month before you house any animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I seen the girlfriends father covering infected areas in manucka honey and it was gone in a couple of weeks . Normally let the sun kill it off on our own ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Stokholm tar , honey and iodine all kind of do the same thing they smother the ringworm. I remember my father used to cover them with cow S**t with the same result. I used iodine last year and it worked on most but not all of the calves. A lad I had spreading slurry told me to put up holly in the shed. I was gobsmacked how well it worked. All the calves cleared up in a few weeks and no ringworm at all this year.

The calf should clear up by itself when it goes to grass anyhow.

Advertisement