Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half marathon time- Connemara v other?!

Options
  • 08-04-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Did my first half ( Connemarathon) on Sunday. Was delighted with my time (2.05) as really didn't know what to expect and thrilled just to get around in one piece. Just wondering now though how it would translate to the same distance in better conditions?

Would it be realistic to aim for under 2 hours in the next one or would the wind / hills really only have added a minute or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on this also. Finished on 2:00:54, have done sub 2 hour in 13 mile training runs so had originally aimed for 1:59 in Connemara but then people who had run the course advised me to revise my target time upwards by at least 5 minutes which would lead me to believe thats the general rule. I don't know if they were just saying that to me to give me some words of encouragement though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I'd say you could deduct 5-7 minutes from your Conn times for a Cork/Dublin/Longford course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

With the hills and the head-wind on the day, 5 minutes would be realistic enough for a 2 hour marathoner, over a flat looped course.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

That's good to know, thanks. I'd hoped that but wasn't sure the conditions would actually have added so many minutes. It was all I could not to be blown backwards near the end though!

Right, River Moy half next!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

For the record, I did the River Moy half 5 min 45 quicker. Didn't get any long runs done in between, longest was 10k so was pleased to get under 2hrs. Lovely route and fantastic value.

My hips / glutes were really nagging again from about 9 miles though , hope it's just fatigue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement