Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debs from source and apt-get upgrade

Options
  • 08-04-2014 5:18pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I built a package from the deb source. This produced a bunch of .deb files, each of which would have been equivalent in release number to whatever is in the ubuntu repos. I installed these with dpkg.

Still though, when I do an apt-get upgrade, it lists the package I built from source and just installed. Obviously I don't want to install this as it will overwrite the version I built from source. Two questions:

1) Why is it listing it? It should not be seen as an updated version
    2) How can I stop it? (I still want it to warn me when there are new upstream versions however).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I hope I understand what you need :-)
    Have you seen this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Khannie wrote: »
    So I built a package from the deb source. This produced a bunch of .deb files, each of which would have been equivalent in release number to whatever is in the ubuntu repos. I installed these with dpkg.

Still though, when I do an apt-get upgrade, it lists the package I built from source and just installed. Obviously I don't want to install this as it will overwrite the version I built from source. Two questions:

1) Why is it listing it? It should not be seen as an updated version
    2) How can I stop it? (I still want it to warn me when there are new upstream versions however).

Not quite sure what you mean by it "listing the package", but I think what you want is to put the package on hold. When a package is on hold dpkg / apt-get won't install/update the package.

in Ubuntu: aptitude hold package-name
    In debian: echo “nmap hold” | dpkg --set-selections

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

By listing the package I mean that when I run apt-get upgrade and it shows the list of packages that it's going to install, the one I just built and installed is in that list (though as I understand it the version should exactly match what I just built and installed).

I could pin it, but if I do I wont get any notification of security updates.

OK, I've hit this wall again. I have built a package from source, got a deb and installed that deb. Now apt-get update wants to overwrite it. How can I make it realise that it already has the latest version?

OK, I can put the package on hold then do the upgrade of other software updates without overwriting the install I did from source, but it leaves the issues of:

1) apt-get doesn't seem to realise that the installed version is current
    2) If there are any security updates published upstream, I wont be aware that I need to do a new build

• Advertisement
Advertisement