Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a piece

Options
  • 08-04-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. My sister has her 21st birthday coming up soon enough and I was thinking of getting her something special for it.

What I had planned was maybe getting her like a Hermes scarf or some other similar accessory. Something high end but at the same something you could wear out and about. What would peoples opinions be? I wouldn't be tied to any one designer just something nice. She seems to wear scarfs a bit so she would definitely wear it.

Budget would be anything to €500. I had planned getting a little purse but they seem a little out of my price range. Any advice would be gratefully received :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Firstly are you sure that your sister is somebody who will appreciate a 500 euro designer piece? Some people love designer goods, others are not pushed by them. For example anybody who knows me would know that I would think it an absolute crazy waste to have a 500 euro scarf, and would much prefer either something cheaper or else if the amount of money spent was going to be the same then would prefer something useful like a new laptop, or something fun like a paid for holiday break away.

Obviously you know your sis best though, so if you are sure she is into designer goods then a scarf or even a handbag could be a great idea. She could get good use from a handbag either if there are some she likes in that price range. Or a really nice coat, or maybe a piece of lovely jewellery to mark her 21st, or some nice leather boots that she could get good wear out of? Just a few ideas.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A leather handbag would be a great gift to get for an important milestone. Really good bags last forever.

Here's a link to Net A Porter handbags, where I've sorted by ascending price. Just keep looking until you reach your budget limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I really like the Michael Kors handbags - something I wouldn't buy myself but would be delighted to get as a present. With €500 you could probably get a MK watch also.
    I agree with Little Acorn above, €500 on a scarf to me would be crazy. I wouldn't wear it for fear of ruining or losing it (and probably return it :o )

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Michael+Kors/BRAND_MICHAEL%20KORS,default,sc.html
    http://www.arnotts.ie/action/brandlist/Michael_Kors_Watches
    http://www.fields.ie/watches/michael-kors.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dunno, a lot of bags will date quicker than a Hermes scarf, but I agree they are expensive. Nice present if you get one she likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

First of all I think €500 is crazy money to spend on a 21 yr old, and alot of 21 yr olds would prefer to spend that kind of money on a holiday, but thats just a personal opinion.

OP, you could always give her a Kildare Village Giftcard:

http://www.kildarevillage.com/en/guest-services/village-services/kildare-village-prepaid-mastercard-gift-card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

i'd go with something timeless that wont date quickly and that she will get a lot of use out of so personally I'd think an accessory like a bag / scarf / wallet will be used more than a piece of clothing.
    I'd make sure you know what designs and brands she likes though as otherwise you could spend a lot on something that wont be used and that would be a pity.
    For my sisters 21st a few of us clubbed together and bought her a mcqueen scarf the one with the skull print and she loved it.

Advertisement