Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swimming at Seapoint

Options
  • 08-04-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been dipping in and out of the sea at Greystones since October and now I'm thinking of heading to Seapoint to swim there because the water is more level.
    I'm not a massively fabulous swimmer and I get nervous at going out of my depth so I'm drawn to Seapoint because the depth stays consistent and I want to build up my stamina.
    A few years ago I was able to do about 30 mins constant swimming & went almost daily but that was just in a swimming pool... The sea is a whole new but imo way more fun ball game!
    Does anyone have any advice about what time is good to go in at - I fear the freeze if I have to wade out for miles before I can swim!!!
    At the moment I usually swim at 11 or 12 in Greystones which works pretty well...would 5pm 6pm onwards be ok?
    And I'd also welcome any advice about building up how long I can stay in?
    Thanks,
    Em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

I swim in Seapoint in the summer, bit chilly for me yet. The one thing you need to do with Seapoint is to check the tide tables as high tide times can vary quite a lot.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/weather/tides

• Registered Users Posts: 4 steryan

I swim at seapoint quite regularly. As christmas2010 said the tide can vary a lot. Unlike Greystones the dept of the water will vary with the tide but I find you can nearly always get out there for a swim. At low tide you may have to go out about 50 meters until the water is waste deep, at high the water is about 5 foot deep just in from the shoreline, watch out for the rocks close to the shore. Mid tide is the best time to swim. I wear a wetsuit for the early months of the year, until about June, in the latter part of the summer you can swim without a wetsuit. One of the most difficult parts is swimming with your face in the water and controlling your breathing. Get a good swimming cap as this will reduce brain freeze and allow you to stay in longer. Also good goggles are a must. Seapoint is very good for gauging distances. there a protruding rock about 250 meters south of the Martello tower that you can use as a place marker. Lots of triathlon clubs swim at Seapoint so your rarely swimming on your own. To build up your swimming, start in waste deep water and take a break every 50 meters or so. Set a visual target like a bouy as a goal.
    BTW. I'm moving to Greystones to live in May so you may see me swimming out there this summer, I'm easy to notice, I'll be the one with the blue lips and goose bumps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

Thanks for the advice Steryan :) myself and a friend went in at around 7.20 last yesterday and the tide was perfect. I was freezing so just had a quick dip but its such a lovely place to swim! there were three other brave souls in and out while we were there too. Let me also give you an early but hearty welcome to Greystones!! I only moved to here in October but I absolutely love it, its such a great town - forest and mountains and beautiful beaches all within a short walk, along with great cafes and friendly people. I hope you'll be very happy and see you in the sea no doubt! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 steryan

It's early in the season for sea swimming so I'm not surprised you were in and out quickly. Fair play to ye. Another couple of great places to swim in shallow water are Silver Strand Camping, the beach is private so you have to pay 6 Euro for the parking to access the beach but it is sheltered and shallow so the water is warm in the summer. Magheramore is also a fabulous sheltered bay to swim in. (See attached picture) It's a couple of Km north of Brittas Bay, 1k south of Blainroe golf course. I was down there surfing last week as there was some east coast swell but in summertime it is normally flat and sheltered. Thanks for the welcome to Greystones, were really looking forward to getting out and about with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Fitzg wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've been dipping in and out of the sea at Greystones since October and now I'm thinking of heading to Seapoint to swim there because the water is more level.
    I'm not a massively fabulous swimmer and I get nervous at going out of my depth so I'm drawn to Seapoint because the depth stays consistent and I want to build up my stamina.
    A few years ago I was able to do about 30 mins constant swimming & went almost daily but that was just in a swimming pool... The sea is a whole new but imo way more fun ball game!
    Does anyone have any advice about what time is good to go in at - I fear the freeze if I have to wade out for miles before I can swim!!!
    At the moment I usually swim at 11 or 12 in Greystones which works pretty well...would 5pm 6pm onwards be ok?
    And I'd also welcome any advice about building up how long I can stay in?
    Thanks,
    Em
    Depends on the tides and tide times can be found in the Irish Times and prob on the net as well. Killiney is nice for swimming as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Paulownia wrote: »
    Depends on the tides and tide times can be found in the Irish Times and prob on the net as well. Killiney is nice for swimming as well.
    I swim in killiney, either from the beach or at Whiterock

Advertisement