Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Allowance Transfer

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all, I recently posted about changing my address to a different county and have done just that, I moved out of my apartment in Galway and moved in with my grandparents in Longford (where I originally started up my Benefits claim just over a year ago but was living with my parents). I was in my local dole office in Longford last week to transfer my claim and I was told it could take about a week. Just this morning I received letter asking me to attend an interview with them at the end of this week. I'm just wondering why? I was told I would not be means tested because I'm living with my grandparents so what sort of questions am I gonna be asked?

When I first made a transfer to Galway it was pretty straight forward, I never got called for an interview and just received a letter to be told when to collect my money. (But I was on benefits, wondering if that makes a difference)

I'm just not over familiar with the goings on of the dole so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone went through the same thing with a transfer and put my mind at ease with what sort of questions I'm gonna be asked?

Thanks.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

(But I was on benefits, wondering if that makes a difference)

Yes a hugh difference, benefits are earned (PRSI) while working, but all 'Allowances' like JSA are means tested.

Looks like your being means tested, are you over 25 if so I wouldn't worry about living with your grandparents, if it was your parents yes and you u/25 probably just checking your own situation since you moved and now on JSA or changing to it if your benefit is running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ParamoreBaby

Hi, thanks for your response.

I am under 25 but I was told I wouldn't be means tested because I'm living with my grandparents which is why I'm a bit worried as to why I was called for an interview.

I changed over from Benefits to Allowance in December just gone so I'm really not familiar with the workings of the dole and don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

When living with your parents if under 25 can affect how much you get.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

There is no mention of living with 'grandparents' so I guess your ok on that score. It should just be your own financial situation that is being reviewed since you moved location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aloevera28

Hi all,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but don't like starting a new one for no good reason.

I'm currently living with my parents and claiming JA for the last 6 months in the South East.

Myself and the GF are considering setting up home together in the Midlands (she's has her own house) so I would need to transfer my claim to the Midlands.

I haven't actually moved yet and am not sure which office I would need to go to for this transfer, South East or Midlands.

Also, because she is self employed I presume I will have to fill in a pile of forms with her details and I am wondering what will happen my claim in the meantime? Will my claim be put on hold until the claim is processed or will I continue to be paid as normal in the South East until it's processed.

My original claim took months and I was penniless while it was being processed and I really can't afford to be without the payments for so long again. I would rather be completely upfront with any inspection process (I have nothing to hide) and don't want to do anything dodgy or tell lies and land myself in hot water, but I can barely pay my bills as it is and I'll never manage if they withdraw my payment for any length of time.

Advertisement