Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing a silage pit

Options
  • 08-04-2014 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

What do ye do with plastic or not if its cut with a sheargrab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I found it better to leave it open. Very hard to get plastic tight to the face, then mould starts growing. I go slightly greedier every row down to the bottom so that there's a slight slope in and top overhangs a shade. I make sure to have a good seal on sides especially that air can't get back along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

+1 for Muckit.
    Just seal well at side and top. Will only rot 6 inches, or less, at the face. And if you have a shear grab, you can trim it a bit before putting in the new grass. No need to obsess about cleaning every pick of waste off it, when you get back to the join, next winter, there will just be an inch of black.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Would agree with both of you on not covering . My father always wanted it covered down with plastic , often you could see it billowing a little in the wind and then you would have waste, far more than if you didn't bother covering it down. Even with a tasty job with a tine grab its ok and certainly no need after a sheargrab. On a slightly off topic, I make a heap( no walls) and have been using a shovel of gravel thrown along the bottom on the plastic for the last couple of years. I use truck tyres on the sides and the air used to creep in at the bottom , especially as the year went on . Now there is very little if any waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Thanks for that its along time since I had silage left over (could be 20 years) and I got the sheargrab this year so I didnt know.interesting about the gravel as apparent ly you can use dung to seal tge edges-might invest in them silobags this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Re sealing edges, last place I worked on used lime, just tipped it on with bucket of loader half way up the side and let it run down. Seemed to help tighten the cover to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement