Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello RDB2 Burner - motor sticking

Options
  • 07-04-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there - Outside boiler, Motor seems to be sticking lately on my RDB2 burner just buzzing and going to lockout - if im lucky i can give a little tap on the housing and the motor will move and boiler will go as normal - too the side off to get to fan and although motor has a bit of resistance there its still moving backwards and forwards ok - would i be looking at trying changing capacitor first or could it just be motor itself packing up do you reckon, do caps give any kind of problems on these burners? any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Sounds like capacitor replace it and that should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Motor sticking can be from many causes, motor, bearings, oil pump, capacitor, etc.
    If you are feeling some resistance when turning the fan, the issue is most likely the oil pump. To check this, the pump needs to be removed & turn the spindle at the back of the pump. If there is the same resistance here, then the pump is faulty.

Capacitor can be tested for it's capacitance (farads).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

capacitor first then fuel pump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

thanks everyone for the replies - i might as well order up a cap then tomorrow, its only 12euro from this place then al least i havent broke the bank even if it turns out not to be the capacitor

http://www.heat-tech.ie/motors-riello/153-riello-45uf-capacitor.html

Do you have a multi-meter?

• Advertisement

shane 007 wrote: »
    Do you have a multi-meter?

thanks yes i have a digital one, i could check the resistance tomorrow - what figure should it read on the display do you know please?

Not resistance, but capacitance. Not all meters can measure this. The symbol is 2 T's lying down like this ⊣⊢

You will looking for a result of about 4.5 µF capacitance ± 5%.

shane 007 wrote: »
    Not resistance, but capacitance. Not all meters can measure this. The symbol is 2 T's lying down like this ⊣⊢

You will looking for a result of about 4.5 µF capacitance ± 5%.

ah right thanks, no only have ohms, volt, Amp, diode, and hFE (whatever that is) on my multimeter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Hi there - Outside boiler, Motor seems to be sticking lately on my RDB2 burner just buzzing and going to lockout - if im lucky i can give a little tap on the housing and the motor will move and boiler will go as normal - too the side off to get to fan and although motor has a bit of resistance there its still moving backwards and forwards ok - would i be looking at trying changing capacitor first or could it just be motor itself packing up do you reckon, do caps give any kind of problems on these burners? any ideas please?

Bout time you did the Oftec coarse Andy.

well whatdya know it started all by itself today without me having to hit it with a hammer - every time the motor/fan started with no problem and every time. So I didnt end up ordering a capacitor for it in the end.

• Advertisement

well whatdya know it started all by itself today without me having to hit it with a hammer - every time the motor/fan started with no problem and every time. So I didnt end up ordering a capacitor for it in the end.

what did you do andy change the tool of choice from hammer to holy water :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

So I didnt end up ordering a capacitor for it in the end.

You will!

jimf wrote: »
    what did you do andy change the tool of choice from hammer to holy water :P

no, but the hammer was holy, I got the local priest to bless it - it works at fixing other things as well like problems with car engines - lol :D

no, but the hammer was holy, I got the local priest to bless it - it works at fixing other things as well like problems with car engines - lol :D
    :D

would it stop the wife from spending money I don't have :D

whilst I had the cover off yesterday I also got tool number: 167/100/2 out of my toolbox ... to the unqualified thats a tin of WD40! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

whilst I had the cover off yesterday I also got tool number: 167/100/2 out of my toolbox ... to the unqualified thats a tin of WD40! :D

More experienced use 3in1 or copper grease spray, due to it withstanding higher working temperatures. !!!

Part No. 3 in 1

If made by the Chinese you'll get chips, curry & rice, so a word of caution before you open your magical tool box to show your customers your latest fix it all purchase.

scudo2 wrote: »
    More experienced use 3in1 or copper grease spray, due to it withstanding higher working temperatures. !!!

Part No. 3 in 1

If made by the Chinese you'll get chips, curry & rice, so a word of caution before you open your magical tool box to show your customers your latest fix it all purchase.

what no mate in the cork currires :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

jimf wrote: »
    what no mate in the cork currires :P

3in1 is popular, my son loves them.

There crap.

ps. Down here we eat meat, not our mate, (yet) !!

see thats why i will never be an 'expert' - cant afford 3 in one ....

3in1 is popular, my son loves them.

There crap.

ps. Down here we eat meat, not our mate, (yet) !!

up here we cant afford to be choosy :p

• Advertisement

is the blessed hammer still working andy

Advertisement