Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early 1970's council house doors

Options
  • 07-04-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Didn't know what to call this thread, sorry. Basically we live in an early 1970s council house and the upstairs doors have never been changed. The bleedin things are wrecking my head and I want to get new ones including architraves and get the toplights filled in with just a small vent. Now the problem is is that the door frames are part of the wall. It's like the walls came with the door frames in the right places iykwim. I had a carpenter out to look at it and he said it would be a big pain in the hole of a job and I would be better off getting in a painter to strip all the door, surrounds etc and get them repainted.

The walls are very thin also, basically three sheets of that chalky stuff with cardboard on the outside (don't know the proper name).

Has anyone ever come across these types of poxy doors and if so what did you do to replace them or tidy them up?

Seems the previous owners of the house never heard of sandpaper, there are about 8 layers of paint on the doors from what I can see.

Help please. My doors are driving me insane.

M

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

A few pics of the frames and doors would be helpful.

They sound like readyfit rebated doors and frames, all the go in the 70,s. But it should be possible to replace both door and frame, if thats what you want.

Take a couple of pictures of the frame corners, and the door edges. that will tell if its a readyfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It wouldn't be unheard of to fit new doors and architraves leaving the door frames intact. Its just more work to take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

I will take a photo and post it tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sounds like Clondaulkin partitions to me get your chippy to clad over the frame and new Arcitrave only bit of paint wil be on the hinged side and closing side.
    Not a big job by any standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

they can be changed but it is an awkward job. cut out the frames. clear out a strip up between slabs and fit in a timber slip and srew from both sides. Then run 2 timber slips on the outside of the wall that lines with the back of where the architrave works out to finish. then get a door frame an inch wider than the wall and fit as normal, getting a couple of fixings down into the floor and a good share of fixall. Youd be surprised how stable it all becomes when finished. Ive done a couple of these and they can be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement