Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice Help!

Options
  • 07-04-2014 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

My subject choice is due tomorrow and I need help! I need to pick four, I am definitely picking Business & Economics so thats two out of the way.

The choices are between

One if these:
    Accounting
    Geography
    History

And one of these:
    Biology
    Chemistry

Junior cert results all Higher Level:
    Business B
    Geography B
    History B
    Science C
    Maths C
    English B

I would really appreciate some guidance as to which would be easiest to get points in. Im not a very mathematical person, and I don't have any idea of what I want to do when I'm finished school.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

If your not great mathematically I'd forget chemistry and go for biology. Chem has a fair bit of Maths and it's hard to get a good grade without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

The thing thats turning me off biology is the amount of people that do it compared to chemistry, I would imagine it would be allot harder to get a high B or A in. And also the length of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

If you put the work in you can get an A in any of them. Do what's going to suit you, don't worry about what other people choose.

If you put the work in you can get an A in any of them. Do what's going to suit you, don't worry about what other people choose.

Thanks! I think thats Biology picked so :)

Because Im not a big maths person would Accounting be a bad subject to pick? Im not terrible at maths I got a C in Hl but I'm just not that great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Because Im not a big maths person would Accounting be a bad subject to pick? Im not terrible at maths I got a C in Hl but I'm just not that great.

The maths in Accounting is pretty basic, but I wouldn't go near it if you have a phobia of maths and also remember if you get one figure wrong in some of the accounts your whole answer would be incorrect. I got the operating income wrong in an account at Christmas and lost 16 marks because of the one figure. Then again a lot of the topics are very simple and it can be rewarding when you get an account out. A C in HL JC is good enough to do it for sure, maybe talk to the accounting teachers in your school about it.

How did you find the accounting type questions in junior cert business?

The maths in Accounting is pretty basic, but I wouldn't go near it if you have a phobia of maths and also remember if you get one figure wrong in some of the accounts your whole answer would be incorrect. I got the operating income wrong in an account at Christmas and lost 16 marks because of the one figure. Then again a lot of the topics are very simple and it can be rewarding when you get an account out. A C in HL JC is good enough to do it for sure, maybe talk to the accounting teachers in your school about it.

How did you find the accounting type questions in junior cert business?

I wasn't bad but I wasn't amazing. I could balance a trading profit and loss account easily but I would go through slowly and cautiously. My teacher never thought us the club accounts as he said we could avoid them, so I can't comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I wasn't bad but I wasn't amazing. I could balance a trading profit and loss account easily but I would go through slowly and cautiously. My teacher never thought us the club accounts as he said we could avoid them, so I can't comment on them.

That's alright then, you need to be cautious anyways :P I wouldn't pick it if you don't have any interest, but again speak to your teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

To be honest unless you found the accounting part of business easy I wouldn't advise you to do accounting. Out of the three I'd go for geography. Quite simply for this if you put in the work you should come out with a good grade. Unless you either have a big interest in history( as in love it ) or are very good at English ( ideally both ) I wouldn't advise you to do history. In truth though just pick whatever interests you the most. It is a lot easier to do well in something you're interested in rather than pick because you heard from others it is easy.

Thanks for the advice guys, I had a chat with a few teachers today and my courier guidance counsellor and I decided to pick geography. Out of the three it suits me best and I feel I made a good choice.

Thanks again for all the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement