Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Float tube fishing

Options
  • 07-04-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What do you think of the Float Tubes?? Are they any good? Do you go out far from the bank

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

i fished around the islands at anaghdown which is a good bit off the pier! they are best in the sheltered bays and i wouldnt go out if it was too windy. but they are amazing to fish from! best fun you can have!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod - moved a couple of posts from pictures thread to here. Might get a few more contributors that way and less clogging of that other thread with chat.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I had one and tried it a few times on Lough Ennell. TBH I wasn't comfortable in it as there's not a lot holding you in and if you slip out without the proper gear you could find yourself in serious trouble. I'm thinking chest waders filling up quickly with water. You can't really wear a full size PFD as you'd find it awkward to cast. I also found it very difficult to manoeuvre especially in any sort of breeze. They'd be fine on small sheltered ponds that weren't too deep but stay away from open water.

I ended up selling mine and buying a fishing kayak - much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

I have enjoyed some excellent trout fishing in float tubes and they are an excellent way of exploring the more inaccessible reed-lined loughs that normally wouldn't be possible to fish. Like all watercraft care should be taken and a knowledge of the water you are going to fish is vital. I would only use mine on small-medium lakes and would not venture out on Sheelin or Ennel sized waters. It is amazing how close to fish you can get in one. I have had trout rising at my fins (feet) so close that it was impossible to cast to them. Here is a link to an Irish website by a man(Norm I think) who has decades of float tube experience in Ireland.

http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/floattubeireland/

You will find a plethora of information here.
    Tight lines!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Having seen a few guys in recent years trying these , I personally think they are a tragedy waiting to happen soon.

• Advertisement

Having seen a few guys in recent years trying these , I personally think they are a tragedy waiting to happen soon.

I think you are being unfair Gordon Purple Wife. I know of only 2 fatalities in recent memory from tubes. Floattubes have been used here and the UK for decades. All vessels pose a danger when used in an unsafe manner or in dangerous conditions. Most floattubes have several bladders which in the event of a puncture still have enough bouyancy to support the angler if one deflates. Used in the correct weather conditions with the right personal flotation it's hard to see what can go wrong. They are no more unsafe than a boat or kayak.

everything is a tragedy waiting to happen in the hands of idiots!

[IMG][/img]IMG_2451.jpg

they are very stable and a pleasure to fish from this is in a bay on mask. how many people crash boats or take them out in weather and get in difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    I think you are being unfair Srameen. I know of only 2 fatalities in recent memory from tubes. Floattubes have been used here and the UK for decades. All vessels pose a danger when used in an unsafe manner or in dangerous conditions. Most floattubes have several bladders which in the event of a puncture still have enough bouyancy to support the angler if one deflates. Used in the correct weather conditions with the right personal flotation it's hard to see what can go wrong. They are no more unsafe than a boat or kayak.

I've never heard of a fatality in Ireland or the uk? Have heard of a few stateside but they have all been in moving water i.e rivers which is just asking for trouble.
    Those ones you mention where did they happen or any more info?
    I've been tubing for years and I'm much happier in a tube than in a boat. Now horses for courses and all that and I wouldn't try to cross derg in one but used correctly and responsibly I concider them very very safe.
    I can't swim btw and have a very healthy respect for water having almost drowned 15 years ago.

Just wanted to add after reading above. I always wear a 150N lifejacket, doesn't impede casting in the slightest. Mine has a waist strap so slipping out isn't an issue. I always wear a tight wading belt any time I'm wearing waders and I'd far rather my chances of survival having a large inflated device to hold on to while wearing divers flippers than the situation I'd be in if I came out of a boat.

I'm sure that site floattubeIreland is ran by coolwings who is/used be a mod here.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Wow Amazing I can Swim But not Great would you guys reccomend me one Also do you fish with a Buddy?

thanks.

• Advertisement

I had one and tried it a few times on Lough Ennell. TBH I wasn't comfortable in it as there's not a lot holding you in and if you slip out without the proper gear you could find yourself in serious trouble. I'm thinking chest waders filling up quickly with water. You can't really wear a full size PFD as you'd find it awkward to cast. I also found it very difficult to manoeuvre especially in any sort of breeze. They'd be fine on small sheltered ponds that weren't too deep but stay away from open water.

I ended up selling mine and buying a fishing kayak - much more comfortable.

I'm curious about kayaks mainly with saltwater bays in mind or longer trips on fresh.
    Are the not prone to flipping over?

Auldloon wrote: »
    I'm curious about kayaks mainly with saltwater bays in mind or longer trips on fresh.

search facebook for a kayak fisherman in ireland he does a lot of reviews of kayaks.

I have a snowbee tube. i would try and get one that has to seperate air bladders i prefer these to the u shaped ones. i have both and the one pictured above is my preferred one.

I've got 2 shakey expeditions which I like. Would like something where im sitting a bit higher in the water, a pontoon type job but it will have to stay on the long list for now.

thefisherbuy
    I would recommend you try one. Some people love it and some hate it from what I've heard from friends you will know immediately once you set sail in one!
    It's recommended to never fish alone from a tube.

Auldloon wrote: »

I spent most of last year out on the sea in mine - mainly after macks and no it's pretty stable even in heavyish swells. Having said that, I still wouldn't head out if there are waves of any height purely because there is no comfort in it. I like to enjoy my fishing and not have to spend the time battling the weather.
    The kayak I have is a cheapo Ebay one and I do intend selling it and buying a half decent one that should be much more stable. In fact the one I'm thinking about even has a stand up platform so you can stand up and cast.
    BTW these are sit on top kayaks and not sit in, so they are way less prone to flipping over and even if they do they are pretty easy to right up again and clamber back on - with practise that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

everything is a tragedy waiting to happen in the hands of idiots!

Very very true.
    I have never been brave enough to get a float tube but I would like to try it someday before I get too old!!!
    You use yours in the corrib, obviously you can only venture out on calm days or stick to the lee shore. Do you find them effective? Are they tiring?

Mmmm kyaks and flipping over! Not sure I want to whistle that tune! Getting dunked into cold lake water 4-6 degrees c, Clambering back in!! Hold on a minute what about your rod, net, tackle etc, how do they clamber back in?

well you wouldnt take out on a wild day! it doesnt have to be completely calm. the windier it is the harder you have to kick. it is always worth remembering you are better off padling out into the wind so it pushes you back to shore. you go the out with the wind you have to get back in against it. you can kick fairly gently and still move surprisingly fast but obviously the windier it is the harder you have to kick!

they are very effective but they are so relaxing and comfortable. id rather be in my tube than on my boat, fished corrib on saturday for about 7 hours.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Mmmm kyaks and flipping over! Not sure I want to whistle that tune! Getting dunked into cold lake water 4-6 degrees c, Clambering back in!! Hold on a minute what about your rod, net, tackle etc, how do they clamber back in?

It's all about the preparation. Firstly I wear a dry suit with the appropriate layers underneath. Secondly I wear a PFD so I don't sink, and lastly all the loose bits (rods, paddle, etc) are leashed to the kayak so even if you do mange to flip you don't lose your gear - at least that's the theory! I'm hoping I never have to put it to the test.

well you wouldnt take out on a wild day! it doesnt have to be completely calm. the windier it is the harder you have to kick. it is always worth remembering you are better off padling out into the wind so it pushes you back to shore. you go the out with the wind you have to get back in against it. you can kick fairly gently and still move surprisingly fast but obviously the windier it is the harder you have to kick!

they are very effective but they are so relaxing and comfortable. id rather be in my tube than on my boat, fished corrib on saturday for about 7 hours.

excellent stuff. as you have pointed out a lot of it seems to be common sense. I must do more research into this as its something i would like to have a go at.

It's all about the preparation. Firstly I wear a dry suit with the appropriate layers underneath. Secondly I wear a PFD so I don't sink, and lastly all the loose bits (rods, paddle, etc) are leashed to the kayak so even if you do mange to flip you don't lose your gear - at least that's the theory! I'm hoping I never have to put it to the test.

I see most things are tied to the kyak. But a serious question. What is the average or likelyhood of tipping over i know its not an excat science and there are many factors to consider, but does tipping over happen to regular kayakers often? From your last sentence i get the impession that it does not happen too often?

Flysfisher wrote: »
    I see most things are tied to the kyak. But a serious question. What is the average or likelyhood of tipping over i know its not an excat science and there are many factors to consider, but does tipping over happen to regular kayakers often? From your last sentence i get the impession that it does not happen too often?

TBH I actually don't know of any kayakers who have been dunked while fishing - and I know of quite a few lads who fish from kayaks week in, week out. One or two have been upended while trying to beach in surf, but they knew what they were heading for and battened down the hatches (literally) before trying to land.
    The only times I ended up in the water was when practising my re-entry or when playing in the surf.

The chances of tipping over are fairly slim provided you take the right precautions like NOT heading out in a gale or in a sea with a big swell and breaking waves. You also need to be aware of local currents and tides. Like any boating activity, there is always a chance that something will go wrong but with a bit of common sense, you can avoid ending up in the water.

• Advertisement

TBH I actually don't know of any kayakers who have been dunked while fishing - and I know of quite a few lads who fish from kayaks week in, week out. One or two have been upended while trying to beach in surf, but they knew what they were heading for and battened down the hatches (literally) before trying to land.
    The only times I ended up in the water was when practising my re-entry or when playing in the surf.

The chances of tipping over are fairly slim provided you take the right precautions like NOT heading out in a gale or in a sea with a big swell and breaking waves. You also need to be aware of local currents and tides. Like any boating activity, there is always a chance that something will go wrong but with a bit of common sense, you can avoid ending up in the water.

Very good. Thank you. All of my fishing is in freshwater I never go near the sea. The problem with it is that it is expensive when starting off. The dry suit and kyack appear to be fairly expensive items. so I might veer toward the idea of giving tubing a go first, they dont seem to be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I fish from a kayak regularly during the summer. Its just a bog standard beach kayak that we bought ages ago. I wear a half wetsuit and life jacket and only venture out if its calm. There is a pocket in the lift jacket where i put a few spare rigs and snips. My rod is the top section of an old beach caster with a fixed spool reel attached with insulating tape. Have caught a few species but by and large its mackeral. Great craic and if you get two or three on they'll tow the kayak if you let them. Haven't been dunked yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Some of the float tubes have a back support and some don't, does it make any difference?
    Including flippers and all the other bits excluding sonar what sort of cost would it be for a reasonable set up?

[QUOTE=Auldloon;89843690]I've never heard of a fatality in Ireland or the uk? Have heard of a few stateside but they have all been in moving water i.e rivers which is just asking for trouble.
    Those ones you mention where did they happen or any more info?

I've been tubing for years and I'm much happier in a tube than in a boat. Now horses for courses and all that and I wouldn't try to cross derg in one but used correctly and responsibly I concider them very very safe.
    I can't swim btw and have a very healthy respect for water having almost drowned 15 years ago.

Just wanted to add after reading above. I always wear a 150N lifejacket, doesn't impede casting in the slightest. Mine has a waist strap so slipping out isn't an issue. I always wear a tight wading belt any time I'm wearing waders and I'd far rather my chances of survival having a large inflated device to hold on to while wearing divers flippers than the situation I'd be in if I came out of a boat.

I'm sure that site floattubeIreland is ran by coolwings who is/used be a mod here.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Auldloon, my post was badly worded as I wasn't suggesting any fatality happened in Ireland. I think one was in U.K and the other South Africa, can't remember exact details except the latter may have been due to the tube exploding as a result of fishing in a mountain lake and over-inflating the tube in an area of higher atmospheric pressure etc in warm conditions.

What life would you expect to get out if it? Do they last long?

ive had that one about a year. ive had my other one about 7 or 8 years. both in full fine working order

Advertisement