Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Dell Hell

Options
  • 07-04-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I bought a new Dell laptop in August last year. Today, Dell ring me to tell me that they never received payment for the laptop. As it turns out they didn't, but it was through a problem at Dell, and was no fault of my own.

The customer services rep claimed that I had to pay immediately or they would take legal action. I have received an invoice confirming my payment at the time. I believed that that was it, as it is with most companies. I also took delivery, and as outlined in Dell's terms and conditions, that would not occur until payment had been received.

As far as I am concerned, I am under no obligation to pay for their mistake. I do not have the funds available to pay them!

Can anyone shed some light on my consumer rights in this situation? I have been in touch with consumer rights authorities, but all opinions and thoughts are welcome at this point.

Also does anyone know somewhere or someone to get in touch with regarding things like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How did they send you the laptop without payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SJDF92

This is exactly my argument. I received order confirmation, and the invoice. When I referred the customer service rep to these she claimed that they were documents that get sent out regardless of whether or not payment has been received. Which seems extremely strange to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I'm no expert but I would say that if you you received the laptop following an order and Dell have documentary evidence of your receipt of the laptop then I would consider that you are liable for the payment.

If you are currently short of funds offer to pay over a period of time at a rate which is both reasonable and affordable. If they decline tell them to take the laptop back. Like all computer equipment It has very little second hand value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How did you pay? Check bank/credit card statements. It seems crazy for them to dispatch without being happy with the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Order confirmation and an invoice is not proof of delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SJDF92

I paid with a debit card and I checked the statements and no the payment didn't go through. But I still don't see why I am liable for payment when they confirmed the payment, and then only 8 months later bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

If you can't pay for it, the only option you have is to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

You have taken delivery of a laptop from Dell without payment going through (as I understand it). You are obliged to pay for the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The title made me laugh.
    Like FSL suggested, try and work out a payment method that suits you for the item you purchased from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭cml387

And you didn't notice that you were x hundred euro better off than you expected to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

SJDF92 wrote: »
    I paid with a debit card and I checked the statements and no the payment didn't go through. But I still don't see why I am liable for payment when they confirmed the payment, and then only 8 months later bring it up.

How the hell did you come to that conclusion? You know full well that you have not paid for the laptop. Did you contact them about the non-payment when you found out that the debit card was not charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I don't get it. 8 months ago you had so much money you didn't even notice whether or not 600 odd quid was taken from your account. Now you can't afford it at all? Rapid change of circumstances there.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Let us imagine for a moment a scenario whereby you paid online for the computer but Dell did not despatch it for some reason or other and you totally forgot about the transaction for several months. Finally, you had a brain storm and remembered that you did not receive the laptop for which you had paid....would you not consider that Dell would be obliged to send you what you had paid for. The converse also applies.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Send it back. Buy later model laptop for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think you are fighting a lost cause here and will have to cough up even though you thought you had gotten away with it

Advertisement