Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About LCA

Options
  • 07-04-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

hello
    just wondering can LCA do the same thing that Normal leaving cert will do in college?
    can they still study medicine or be a doctor?
    because i have a thought in mind
    if the leaving cert work so hard to become a doctor
    and lca work less and still be able to be a doctor.
    whats really different?
    no offence but just need this for my future decision:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

No. Those who have done LCA can get into PLC Courses but are not eligible to apply for Medicine or any CAO courses. Its a great course for those who want to do manual labour etc, but not for aspiring doctors.
    More info here...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/state_examinations/leaving_certificate_applied.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Technically, you could do the LCA and eventually become a doctor, (LCA-->FETAC-->Degree-->Graduate Entry) though I doubt many do, especially since so many schools don't seem to take the LCA seriously.

From a teacher's point of view, it seems to have been left high and dry support-wise. A really good idea that no-one in the Dept. knew/cared enough about to follow through on.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JOJOGINS

hi thank you for your reply
    yes,i think it will be hard for the lca student to be a doctor
    as far as i know,they dont do any science subject?
    and i saw their maths book recently and its much more easier than the ordinary junior cert maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JOJOGINS wrote: »
    hi thank you for your reply
    yes,i think it will be hard for the lca student to be a doctor
    as far as i know,they dont do any science subject?
    and i saw their maths book recently and its much more easier than the ordinary junior cert maths.

The books are only a tiny part of the LCA course.
    If you want to be a doctor, the sensible and most practical route to take is through the Established Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

spurious wrote: »
    Technically, you could do the LCA and eventually become a doctor, (LCA-->FETAC-->Degree-->Graduate Entry) though I doubt many do, especially since so many schools don't seem to take the LCA seriously.

From a teacher's point of view, it seems to have been left high and dry support-wise. A really good idea that no-one in the Dept. knew/cared enough about to follow through on.

Its true, the majority of teachers don't wont to be in an LCA class room. I Completed mine 9 years ago, I was looking back over looking at my result tonight and thinking- I could of done better.

I remember telling one of the teachers I do not wish to be exempt from Irish. But I was at a higher level of speaking it from the rest of my class,(in an irish school from age 5-7) but it didn't matter sure I was in an LCA class and at 17 what did I know?

Thats just one example.

My guidance councilor is another story........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 reformus

Hey all,

I did the LCA years back, i am dyslexic, but I was never tested. I was well behaved and would of always considered myself of above average intelligence, minus the typical traits of a dyslexic ;). I found school to be very frustrating and found LCA to be a blessing. As a result of doing the LCA am in a career I love and at under 30 i earn 40,000+ PA.

LCA teaching style suited me and kept me disciplined though out the 2 years, with regular assignments and tests that made up your final grade it would keep you focused and prepared for real for college and the workplace.

Why? Your employer expects you to be on your a game 24/7 not for a few weeks of the year, LCA prepares students for this.

How does cramming and regurgitating a few books make you more intelligent?

Personally I feel the LA point base system is out dated, many i know personally and professionally have university degrees and to be quite frank their not wrote the paper they are printed on, Not to be dismiss-of of those who are studious and are hard working, but these days tech jobs (in particular) have no coloration between the degrees people posses and the roles they have or are suited for.

If you have any questions, pls ask.

Advertisement