Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Hair and make up dilemma

Options
  • 07-04-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Ideally I would like one person who can do both and can come to the hotel. I've already had a recommendation but a month of non returned calls or emails is wearing on me a little.

I'm getting married in Barberstown Castle, Kildare on July 10th this year.
    I'm very anxious about the make-up especially. I don't really wear any in my day to day life and every time I've got it done professionally it's always made me look a decade older. The only reason I'm considering it for the wedding is because I've heard without it you can look very washed out in the photos.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

Make Up artistry and hair styling are really two different specialties so I don't know how easy it will be to find someone who does both.

Get a trial done of both anyway to be sure you're going to be happy on the day.
    MAC or Make Up Forever or any other boutiquey make up house would have tonnes of experience doing bridal make up and trials are a standard part of the procedure.

Hair-wise I would tend towards a reliable recommendation from a friend unless you have a regular person you go to.

The other option for one or both event is to check out some tutorials on youtube. There are loads of really excellent ones out there and you'd save a few quid.

It is nice to have someone pamper you on the day though so I'd say maybe do one yourself and have someone in for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

How come you are keen to have the same person do both? Is it to save money? As the poster says above they are two different areas of expertise. I can PM you the hairdresser and MUA I'm using if you like. They're both very experienced. The hairdresser I'm going to for years and she does loads of weddings. She recommended the MUA to me as they've worked together at weddings a lot. Let me know if you want their details and I'll PM them to you. Both based in Dublin but do travel

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Try Alyson Smyth.
    http://alysonmakeup.ie/
    She doesn't do hair but she works with a girl who does who she usually recommends for the hair (can't remember her name).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I suppose the reason I would like the two in one is to save on cost where I can.
    I had one recommendation but they just aren't responding to emails of voice messages.

Thanks for the responses - Typer Monkey, please do send over the details. Anything helps at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Just pm'd you details of the girls I had..I was dreading it but the two girls who did mine were brills and absolute dotes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

There are some parts of the wedding that you just need to open the purse too and I think hair and make up is one of them. You need to feel like a million dollars. There is no point in saving money and getting someone to do a poor job. You won't feel good and you won't believe the difference it will make for the pictures.

I visited different beauticians and spoke to them. Have a look at their own make up and get an idea of their style. I've gone to beauticians that were like drag queens and came out looking like a drag queen too. For my own wedding, i picked a girl that had gorgeous natural looking make up on her own face. She did a FAB job and the pictures were gorgeous. I actually stared at pictures (just guests pictures so not altered) shocked at how good I actually looked because I rarely wear make up too.

I got a few treatments and facials done too. I would never have been into all that but I'm converted and my skin is really fresh looking now.

Seriously, cut out favors or something (nobody even misses them) and put the money towards treating yourself. Its your one big day to be the hottest chick in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

I have my makeup trial next week so fingers crossed, she's based in Wexford though so not much help. I have PMed you inforof a Dublin based girl who does travel to the best of my knowledge

Advertisement