Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would I go about connecting a router to a VDSL2 Modem?

Options
  • 07-04-2014 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

First off, I hope this is the right board, if not apologies.

I recently switched from Vodafone to Magnet (Fatpipe 100) around 5 days ago and the modem/router Magnet provided me (Technicolor tg589vn v3) isn't the greatest (The speed isn't consistent, and the settings are insanely restrictive etc).

I'm wondering how I would go about connecting a new router to the Technicolor while it is in bridge mode. I messed around with it last night with an old Linksys router with DD-WRT installed with no luck. From the looks of it there isn't much information to go on for VDSL as opposed to ADSL or Cable. From what I hear either the router OR the modem need to support 'vectoring' but I'm not sure which, I do hope it's just the modem.

I was going to buy the ASUS RT-AC66U, but if I'm not sure if it is compatible or not since I couldn't get the Linksys one connected.

So basically I'm wondering how I would go about connecting a router to the Technicolor while it is in bridge mode (So I can test it with my linksys E1200), and if the RT-AC66U will work with it also.

Thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Magnet router in bridge mode, new router PPOE WAN connection type and put the correct username and password in the new router. The magnet modem is vectoring compliant, no worries there. Do you have the ethernet cable connected to the right place when going from the magnet modem to the new router?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

Yeah I've done all of that sadly, it doesn't work. DHCP on the router seems to be assigning IPs to the clients, and the modem is receiving connection from the internet, but it just won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless you have a static IP PPPoE wont work on VDSL. IPoE is used for dynamic IPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

They definitely use PPPoE and I believe I have a dynamic IP. I rang them up and asked them and they said PPPoE whilst giving the information out. The Technicolor even says that it's at PPPoE on the status page.

Now I've come to the conclusion that bridge mode is broke because while it is in bridge mode it will not assign a WAN IP no matter what I do.

But I have set up a pseudo-bridge mode through DMZ and it's working, but I still feel it's holding it back since both the router and 'modem' are using DHCP (As there is no way to disable it on the Technicolor unless you go through the menu to set it in bridge mode.

I shall contact them again through email (Since I seem to get a lot more information that way) and ask what's the story with it not working in bridge mode, because I bought it and I have a right to use it to its maximum capabilities.

I went ahead and bought the RT-AC66U since I got the pseudo-bridge working on the linksys one.

Advertisement