Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what shampoo for a bull?

Options
  • 06-04-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I am hoping to take a bull to a sale in the next few weeks. As he was wintered indoors he needs a good clean up.
    What shampoo do people find is good to move the heavy soil and what is good to put a shine in his coat??????

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Washing up liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A circular curry comb is what you want,washing up liquid, a half plastic barrel of hot water and plenty of patience!!

No need for fancy shampoos. Once you have all the matted **** off, you can switch to the ordinary curry combs with the steel pins. Don't try using these to rake out hard sh*t as you'll just snap off the pins!!

Have you a pic of him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

Muckit wrote: »
    A circular curry comb is what you want,washing up liquid, a half plastic barrel of hot water and plenty of patience!!

No need for fancy shampoos. Once you have all the matted **** off, you can switch to the ordinary curry combs with the steel pins. Don't try using these to rake out hard sh*t as you'll just snap off the pins!!

Have you a pic of him now?
    See the attachment for his pic, as you can see he needs a good showers..... oftn used the washup liquid before, just thought there might be something better out there...

Nice looking bull. Yeah wet him down well with a hose and then plenty of elbow grease with circular curry comb wash up liquid and hot water.

Nice looking bull. Yeah wet him down well with a hose and then plenty of elbow grease with circular curry comb wash up liquid and hot water.

Thats what I figured, was hoping someone had found a wonder product that would make the job easy. ?...

weighed him Friday, came in at 746 kgs , just hope he makes good money now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

If you can get your hands on a power washer that hears water turn temp low so not to scald him. Give him a good hose down, have a cup of tea and then start with combs etc. did it with 6 bull recently and the easiest i ever had to clean despite they being covered in ****e

Thats what I figured, was hoping someone had found a wonder product that would make the job easy. ?...

weighed him Friday, came in at 746 kgs , just hope he makes good money now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I wouldn't use washing up liquid. It's not made for hair - your animal may end up all flakey. You can buy animal shampoo just as cheap as washing up liquid and it works just as well without the risk of any reaction to it!

Nobody likes a bull with dandruff! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Nobody likes a bull with dandruff! :)

You won't notice it in your white ones when you spruce them up with baby powder but it looks crappy in the red ones ;)

reilig wrote: »
    You won't notice it in your white ones when you spruce them up with baby powder but it looks crappy in the red ones ;)

I can just see it now, me leading my lovely red bull into the ring while leaving a trail of dandruff behind me....

Has anyone used that dirty beastie? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I use head and shoulders myself. Leaves the bull with flake free scalp and shiny hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

L'Oreal...because he's worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

What's that spray you'd see used at the pedigree sales? It's like a hair-setting spray for cattle or something. Nice smell from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mickmac1

what sale is he going to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What's that spray you'd see used at the pedigree sales? It's like a hair-setting spray for cattle or something. Nice smell from it too.

I never groomed cattle but I send my newfoundland dog down to a local groomer when he gets manky . Whatever he uses leaves his hair perfect and smells like that 212 aftershave , its great stuff I must ask him the name of it

moy83 wrote: »
    I never groomed cattle but I send my newfoundland dog down to a local groomer when he gets manky . Whatever he uses leaves his hair perfect and smells like that 212 aftershave , its great stuff I must ask him the name of it

he will be heading to kilmallock at the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can you throw up a pic when finished, it'll be interesting to compare the before and after.
    Thanks, and good luck.

Can you throw up a pic when finished, it'll be interesting to compare the before and after.
    Thanks, and good luck.

i sure will

• Advertisement

solorpower wrote: »
    he will be heading to kilmallock at the end of the month

Are you talking about my dog or your bull ! Good luck at the sale hope he does well for you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

moy83 wrote: »

I've done dog grooming and they bought from Christies, possibly Dirty Beastie being used on him as Newfies have horrid heavy coats to groom. But they also had a spray for afterwards aka doggie aftershave. Some serious money in that grooming business.

We used to use Dax flakes, is that what they're called? When we had animals to show.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I've done dog grooming and they bought from Christies, possibly Dirty Beastie being used on him as Newfies have horrid heavy coats to groom. But they also had a spray for afterwards aka doggie aftershave. Some serious money in that grooming business.

We used to use Dax flakes, is that what they're called? When we had animals to show.

This is our second newfie and have been charged anything upto €200 for a grooming ! (He did break the table when they charged that though ) An english fella set up down the road and charges €40 , he does the best job of any we have seen so far

Advertisement