Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 IWT 12 month visa

Options
  • 06-04-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Ok this has been frustrating me for weeks now. I am currently a part-time post graduate student in DCU. I am looking to go to the states on the J1-IWT 12 month working visa.
    I have been onto USIT and they have informed me that I am NOT eligible for the J1-IWT visa...because I am a part-time student.

I looked around and found alternative sponsorship organizations. Their is a Boston based company called IIIC (Irish International Immigration Center).
    They operate the exact same as USIT but they are a non-profitable company.
    I emailed them and asked them would I be eligible for the J1-IWT visa, to which they replied yes.
    Of course then I questioned them by saying that other sponsorship organizations say differently(USIT).

I then rang USIT back and told them that this IIIC crowd said that I was eligible. USIT told me that it is not up to the sponsoring companies, but to the embassy, and if when I go for my interview at the US embassy, they will reject me.

So I emailed IIIC back and told them this. But they said that they have never had any problems with part-time students in the past.

So this is what it all comes down to...
    In order to apply for the J1-IWT visa I must pay the following before my interview in the US embassy:

IIIC sponsorship fee - $990
    SEVIS fee - $180
    U.S. Embassy Interview fee - $160
    Insurance - approx $300

That is a total of $1630 (€1189)

Do I risk paying €1189 only to be told at the interview that I am being rejected because of my part-time student status?

I have been searching for anyone who might be able to give me more information, or anyone who has/is in this position.

To be honest I dont think I could handle just losing €1189 because of someones else's mistake.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sabkelly

I'm actually in the same boat as yourself. December last year I was told the same by USIT. When I enquired, I was told; 'The US Embassy contacted us over a year ago to advise they will no longer be accepting part time applicants onto this programme. This is not a USIT rule but an Embassy one.' I left it at that and proceeded to apply for a Canadian visa instead.

But only 2 days ago, I get THIS message from USIT; 'We are now accepting graduates from part time courses on this programme if you would still like to proceed.'

It looks like you should be okay to apply. I know I'm definitely going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 garbo196

Best news ive heard in years. Thanks a mill. I may get into USIT tomorrow, as they have not emailed me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jonnnyyyyyyy

Bit late in seeing this however I'm also a part time student, my circumstances are a little complicated so I won't get into it, but on paper I am classed as a part time student. I too contacted USIT first and they said they would contact the embassy, after weeks upon weeks of waiting I emailed them back however I got no further. I then seen the IIIC and got in contact with them, they were very helpful and said it would be no problem at all.

Just before my embassy appointment I got word back from USIT to say they were now accepting part time students. My Embassy appointment was pretty straightforward, just make sure you have all the required documents and you should be fine.

I'm heading out now at the end of June. I'd highly recommend the IIIC, their response time is excellent and they answered all my queries. I think in terms of price they work out cheaper also, as you don't have to book the health insurance through them. USIT's health insurance is very expensive.

Advertisement