Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Calculation Help Needed!

Options
  • 06-04-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi, I have a stochiometry test tomorrow I need help!

Do you know when you are calculating lets say - no of moles which is mass divided by mr.

I'm confused by the mr. If I see 2BeCl (made up). I ignore the 2 and just get the rel atomic mass of Be plus Cl and add it..
    But if it was something like BeCl2 (small two) do I add Be mass and Cl mass by 2.. Or is it just BeCl ignore the 2..

Is it basically the mr for ONE mole of it? Just confused as to what I use for mass in g?

Any help would be gladly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

yoyojc wrote: »
    Hi, I have a stochiometry test tomorrow I need help!

Do you know when you are calculating lets say - no of moles which is mass divided by mr.

I'm confused by the mr. If I see 2BeCl (made up). I ignore the 2 and just get the rel atomic mass of Be plus Cl and add it..
    But if it was something like BeCl2 (small two) do I add Be mass and Cl mass by 2.. Or is it just BeCl ignore the 2..

Is it basically the mr for ONE mole of it? Just confused as to what I use for mass in g?

Any help would be gladly appreciated :)

If you see 2BeCl, that means 2 moles of BeCl, but the Mr will still just be that of BeCl, because Mr is just for one mole.
    For BeCl2, we have 1 atom of beryllium and 2 chlorine atoms, so we have to add the mass of them to get the Mr for one mole.
    The units for Mr are g per mole, meaning it is just for one mole.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

thanks so much cleared it up for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

yoyojc wrote: »
    thanks so much cleared it up for me:)

It's seems you don't understand what the two meant in the first place .

It plays a role in the reacting ratio.
    Say you have the limiting agent and you want to find the number of moles / gramms of another compound formed in the reaction . Firstly it will be dependent on the number of moles of the limiting agent present and then you would multiply that numbers of moles or grams by the reacting ratio .

So 2 moles of BeCl would react with x moles of the limiting reagent or a different reactant and so on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It's seems you don't understand what the two meant in the first place .

It plays a role in the reacting ratio.
    Say you have the limiting agent and you want to find the number of moles / gramms of another compound formed in the reaction . Firstly it will be dependent on the number of moles of the limiting agent present and then you would multiply that numbers of moles or grams by the reacting ratio .

So 2 moles of BeCl would react with x moles of the limiting reagent or a different reactant and so on.....
    Thank you, I've done alot of work around the chapter since then and I've a great understanding now :) sometimes its important to ask the 'easy' questions to comprehend the difficult ones :)

Advertisement