Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hen coop

Options
  • 06-04-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting 3-4 hens for the last year or more.We use a lot of eggs in the household and I heard of how the real free range egg tastes so great etc .Think it would be nice hobby for the kids too.The one thing that keeps putting me off is the cost of a coop.I can't see or justify spending approx €300 on a coop alone.There are cheaper there I know but they are prob cheap chinese flat packed and maybe mightn't last that long.I priced a hen arc about 6 mths ago locally and it was €420.Thats a lot of eggs worth.
    I don't think I would be able to make a good coop probably manage a run alright myself but I would prefer to buy coop and run
    I've checked out the usual haunts where they are advertised
    Anybody know where I can get a decent coop at a reasonable price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Why not DIY? Plenty plans on internet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Sam Kade wrote: »

Ya seen that and I've dealt with that seller as well before.He is Sound out but looks a bit on the small side.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

49801 wrote: »
    Why not DIY? Plenty plans on internet

As I said prob be able to build a run ok but wouldn't be too confident building a coop

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

is this your first time keeping hens if so here are few tips for you hens can make ****e of a lawn poo all over your foot paths which is like cement to wash off so the idea of them scratching around and looking lovely in the back garden is not a reality, dont waste money on those fancy chicken coops on done deal they are too small, I have seen a lot of people try these and after a few weeks they get rid of the lot. I find that its best to have the run and coop covered I use a trailer cover and invest in proper drinker and feeder that can hang down and is kept off the ground helps keep rats away i put a bag of shavings on the ground and have a small box 2 foot off the ground where the hens go in and lay there eggs which are always clean I also but a bait box near by and keep it topped up. all i have to do is collect the eggs in morning and top up feed and water every weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

get an old car.nest in the footwell,Perch across the Back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

get an old car.nest in the footwell,Perch across the Back seat.

In years gone by this was common enough the only problem is our little furry friends would like to nest there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

We made our own, galvanise, nailed it to a tree, and old door, can of paint not the prettyest but stood the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

At home we converted an old garden shed - up on blocks, cow mat on floor, roost and few laying boxes - easy to clean (plus it was free - neighbour was going to dump it)

Advertisement