Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod repairs. DIY or somewhere to get done?

Options
  • 06-04-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. ,

I cracked my spey rod last year on the second section (4 section rod) . Its a hairline crack that runs from just above the bottom and about 3 inches long. When pressure is put on it it opens up about 2mm

Just wondering if its something I could fix my self with some carbon wrapping/resing or would it be best off getting someone else to do it. Im not on a big budget tbh. The warranty is void because I bought it at the Angling expo last year.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

A lot of rods now have life time guarantees. Grey's, Redington etc. My understanding is that they will replace broken sections. Might be worth checking.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

cheers but as I metioned my warranty is void because I bought it at a trade fair so no proof of purchase or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Sorry hamo, never spotted that bit. Out of interest were you onto them already? I have a hazy recollection (probably wrong) of a fella on another forum getting his replaced before and they didn't ask any questions.

P

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Sorry hamo, never spotted that bit. Out of interest were you onto them already? I have a hazy recollection (probably wrong) of a fella on another forum getting his replaced before and they didn't ask any questions.

P

not yet. been looking at the site and from what I can read it says theres a warranty given if proof of purchase within 2 years is given

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

thehamo wrote: »
    not yet. been looking at the site and from what I can read it says theres a warranty given if proof of purchase within 2 years is given

Contact the seller and tell them. You might get lucky and get a reciept posted or emailed to you.
    Worth a go anyway.

• Advertisement

was a random trade stall at the angling expo. Havent a clue who it was. Suppose its the pitfalls of getting a cheap deal

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

was a random trade stall at the angling expo. Havent a clue who it was. Suppose its the pitfalls of getting a cheap deal

Look guarantee for life or two years warrantee mean diddly squat when it comes to rods , there are still costs involved in getting the new part , ur loop costs 40-75 euro per part and the most expensive are g loomis which can cost up to 180 for a part . So people out there who think they get replacement rods for free , it don't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

If you cant get it replaced as discussed above I wouldn't spend time fixing it myself. It sounds like the type of damage you wont be able to put right. You could look into professional rod repair but if it was me I would be looking to get a new section

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

Theres plenty of second hand fly rods on adverts and done deal. It might work out the same price to buy another rod as to get your own one fixed. There are some bargains to be had if you get lucky.

Cheers guys. TBH I dont do enough Salmon fishing to justify splashing out for another new rod. Only got the spey last year and used it twice, broke on a backcast.

Its at the bottom of the second section so theres not that much flex in the rod. I'm going to attempt a fix my self with some whipping and some epoxy resin and see how that goes. Sure whats the worst that can happen anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I'm going to attempt a fix my self with some whipping and some epoxy resin and see how that goes. Sure whats the worst that can happen anyway

Should hold fine if the crack isn't too long. I've even used regular thread ( to match the rod colour) and clear epoxy on older rods and never had a problem..

Advertisement