Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red thumbs on Journal.ie

• 05-04-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭

Why do people use the red thumb on the journal for sensitive or sad comments? The story earlier about that young lad who was missing and found today had people posting comments of sympathy and sorrow which were given red thumbs or thumbs down.

I think the feature should be done away with going forward and these people who give thumbs down to stories like this must live sad pathetic lives..:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

The world is full of assholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Why worry about thumbs up or down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

If there was a Red Thumb for this thread - it'd be hitting 1,000 by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Sciprio wrote: »
    Why worry about thumbs up or down?

Because its disgusting and sad especially in cases like this evening where the body of that young lad was found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

My thumb is up my hole, now what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Not it wouldn't.

OP, it's because they're just trying to wind people up. Ignoring is definitely all you can/should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I love to red thumb the "Why so many red thumbs!" comments.

After 6 views :confused:

Is it possible that some of them were clicked by accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

dmc17 wrote: »
    After 6 views :confused:

They've yet to load. Red thumb down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I'm not sure that it's meant in the way that you take it, op. I always feel weird 'liking' comments that express sadness or negative events to show support, perhaps those that give a thumbs down intend to commiserate or sympathise with the sentiments of the op?

This is exactly why Boards or Facebook won't implement a "dislike" or "no thanks" button. Rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why do people use the red thumb on the journal for sensitive or sad comments? The story earlier about that young lad who was missing and found today had people posting comments of sympathy and sorrow which were given red thumbs or thumbs down.

I think the feature should be done away with going forward and these people who give thumbs down to stories like this must live sad pathetic lives..:mad:

Thejournal is a jokeshop of a site, the comments there make Youtube comments look like Shakespearean prose
    wazky wrote: »
    My thumb is up my hole, now what?

That be brown thumbs, you require bleach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Thejournal is a jokeshop of a site, the comments there make Youtube comments look like Shakespearean prose
    Oh yes, I forgot this bit in my last post. The point being, OP: the likes of people who post to that site (the dregs) are not worth getting bothered by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I presume some people would probably think the red thumb indicates negative (which I guess it does) so click a red thumb when someone says "so sad for his kids" cause they want to express "this makes me feel sad", rather than "boo to this comment"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why do people use the red thumb on the journal for sensitive or sad comments?

I think the more important question here is..why do you read thejournal?

Karsini wrote: »
    This is exactly why Boards or Facebook won't implement a "dislike" or "no thanks" button. Rightly so.

Boards and the journal are the same company (Distilled Media) so you would imagine it would disabled. I thought it was really sad as the boy's sister posted a comment on the missing person's topic the other day.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I think the more important question here is..why do you read thejournal?

I know I know.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The comments on the journal show why democracy is a flawed concept. The articles themselves tend to be biased shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The last group of people who really got this whole thumb thing down was the Romans. Ill just leave it there.

That said I see its the same people on the same stories again and again. Keyboard warriors on E tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Red thumb get's hit sometimes when people scrolling the page on their mobile.. for all others there is the evil Troll..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I think it's a good site in a lot of ways. It's the closest we have to an Irish 24 hour news service and it always updates important stuff. I could do without the "Top ten places Irish daddies stored their moustache combs in the 1980s" strories though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thejournal's actual news content is pretty decent and often covers important or noteworthy subjects; they have a tendency to get a bit obsessed with one topic, but otherwise they're an important voice in news media. I also find thescore a decent source for sports news & opinion.

The comments section though is an embarrassment to their business and should be overhauled; it's a total cesspit of contrarians, cynics and dismissive types who all have their axes to grind and never miss a trick to bring them up. As the OP mentions, completely innocent topics frequently get hijacked by petty nastiness.

Long story short, reading sites like journal convinced me to install this Chrome extension and have never looked back:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/commentblocker/lhkjhnbkeibefoijmacgnnkddlkkmjaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thejournal's actual news content is pretty decent and often covers important or noteworthy subjects; they have a tendency to get a bit obsessed with one topic, but otherwise they're an important voice in news media. I also find thescore a decent source for sports news & opinion.

The comments section though is an embarrassment to their business and should be overhauled; it's a total cesspit of contrarians, cynics and dismissive types who all have their axes to grind and never miss a trick to bring them up. As the OP mentions, completely innocent topics frequently get hijacked by petty nastiness.

Long story short, reading sites like journal convinced me to install this Chrome extension and have never looked back:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/commentblocker/lhkjhnbkeibefoijmacgnnkddlkkmjaf

the journal is fine for what it is.
    It's brief to the point news that misses the target sometimes in it's brevity but I must disagree it's not an important media organ at all.
    It holds no power and it doesn't have any standing to sway opinion like some of the more traditional media's do.

some of the news topics are kak but i do like the 7 deadly reads.

the comments section isn't there to be serious or maybe it was at the start

I often green thumb opinions I don't agree with cos the enrage the over sensitive zealout do-gooders/liberal/guradian type that pollute every social article with cries of "hate crime" ( maybe not those exact words but you get the picture)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Red thumb get's hit sometimes when people scrolling the page on their mobile..

I often have this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

dmc17 wrote: »
    The world is full of assholes

With an attraction to the Journal.ie comments section. It really is the pits.

Best just to ignore the comment section altogether for reasons Pixelburp points out, otherwise it's a grand site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Who really gives a flying fock about Internet acceptance?

The journal used to be ok for some light fun reading but they even managed to fock that up.

Looking at someone lose the plot over something stupid is hilarious though. The journal is mob mentality at its finest.

85% of the crap that's on it can be found on reddit two days before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I always wondered why people were so bothered by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

They should really disable the comments on certain stories that are sensitive and not in the 'public interest' or require pre-moderation (as is done here when posting as a guest).

A friend who died and who took a while to be identified had a journal article about him and his sister ended up posting to correct some of the negative assumptions being made in the comments. Its just not needed for those type of articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The comments on the journal show why democracy is a flawed concept.

Democracy is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Advertisement