Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Lyons Research Farm Expansion DAIRY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Will keep the IHFA happy😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Who's paying for it?

Who's paying for it?

IHFA and Keenan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Anyone here putting in a tender ? Who would be likely to be in for that job ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Anyone here putting in a tender ? Who would be likely to be in for that job ?

Bertie and Brian Cowan.
    They want to make a caltic cow this time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

IHFA and Keenan

and Dairymaster, Devenish Nutrition, Glanbia, Munster Cattle Breeding Group, Progressive Genetics, dont think keenan are involved, suprisingly :rolleyes:

€2m of a spend

https://www.agriland.ie/news/new-e2m-ucd-irish-dairy-research-hub/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

That's going to be a very interesting project and one which will have much more relevance for Ireland than that New Zealand place in Kilkenny!!!!!.

I think its a must tbh.
    If Ireland is going to supply all thus milk that's were all talking about we will need young people with the very best of knowledge and hands on experience to get there.
    UCD is without doubt the best university in Ireland so they should have the mist modern of equipment to train up and coming advisor and vets.
    This along with Moore park research should provide a very good learning experience for students

I think its a must tbh.
    If Ireland is going to supply all thus milk that's were all talking about we will need young people with the very best of knowledge and hands on experience to get there.
    UCD is without doubt the best university in Ireland so they should have the mist modern of equipment to train up and coming advisor and vets.
    This along with Moore park research should provide a very good learning experience for students

For once gg I'm in full agreement!!!!

It's a good plan. Set up commercially it wouldn't work. Really don't know what we'll get from it the industry is moving fast. Too many vested interests involved from breed societies to milking equipment.
    Can't wait to see how much meal they can get into a cow
    Good for the Ag and vet students to have a state of the art facility and not before time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Ireland has quite a lot of time to catch up on with regards to productivity.
    Time and technology have advanced since 1984.
    I think in a few years when cow numbers are at their limit on farms the next step to increase production will be a swing to Holsteins.
    Tillage farms in the 80's swung from spring barley production to winter wheat as the logical next step to increase returns per acre. Look to Holland.

It's a good plan. Set up commercially it wouldn't work. Really don't know what we'll get from it the industry is moving fast. Too many vested interests involved from breed societies to milking equipment.

Good for the Ag and vet students to have a state of the art facility and not before time

Yep.
    Like harper Adams in the UK. Very good facilities.
    That's why there a top notch college

sheebadog wrote: »
    Ireland has quite a lot of time to catch up on with regards to productivity.
    Time and technology have advanced since 1984.
    I think in a few years when cow numbers are at their limit on farms the next step to increase production will be a swing to Holsteins.
    Tillage farms in the 80's swung from spring barley production to winter wheat as the logical next step to increase returns per acre. Look to Holland.

Agreed but unlike Holland land is not the limiting factor in Ireland. Take a drive in any direction and its shocking the amount of badly farmed and under utilised land in a few kilometres

Agreed but unlike Holland land is not the limiting factor in Ireland. Take a drive in any direction and its shocking the amount of badly farmed and under utilised land in a few kilometres
    lAND IS THERE ALRIGHT BUT IT IS VERY HARD AND EXPENSIVE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON IT.there is 80 acres of once top land next door to me and in another few months it will be like a field of oil seed rape in full bloom only with ragworth,Docks,Thistles and just about every other weed u could find.The guy would rather stab himself in the foot with a fork than rent it out.There is a tie to a praticular piece of land for so many farmers in this country that will never be broken.Like sheba i can see guys going so far with sr then the only choice will be go back to your high ebi holstein with more production

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

This facility at UCD will I presume be the republic's version of the set up at greenmount college

Advertisement