Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec 63DV Telecom Error

Options
  • 05-04-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I was wondering could anyone help me with a telecom error.
    I recently moved my broadband router/modem from an extension I had in the house upstairs. I disconnected the extension and put a new one in the living room beside the sky box and moved the router.modem there.
    Telecom was fine on the alarm until I made this move.
    Broadband/telephone is currently perfect.
    I never changed any of the wiring with the alarm as I had it filtered when I made the original change.
    But since the change I am getting a telecom fault.
    I've now tried all combinations of wires filtered and unfiltered and I still get the telecom error.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Al

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Whether there is a filter on not wont make any difference. The panel is not getting the line voltage.
    Have you a multi meter to check the voltage on the incoming phone line at the panel. It should be around 50 volts DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Thank you Koolkid, I have a multimeter but not really that sure about using it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Turn the dial to DC power. It will be marked by a continuous line over a broken line. Put the 2 probes onto the incoming phone line pair and see what displays.

I got a reading of 53 volts. Would that be right?

That sounds right.
    Are you getting that on the line in and out?
    If so try a complete power down and power back up to see if that clears the fault.

• Advertisement

How do you mean line in and out?

To power down will I just remove the fuse?

On the dialler there are 4 terminals. 2 marked line and 2 marked phone.
    The incoming phone line should go to line and all other pones connect to phone.
    To power down remove the mains fuse & remove the battery link .(Its to the very right above the bell terminals.

Hi Koolkid, I'll have to try that tomorrow at some stage as the kids are about to goto bed.
    I'll update tomorrow and much appreciate your help.

Al

Hi Koolkid,
    Ok, I powered it off and back on again removing the battery reset/jumper.

Still have the telecom fault.
    I see on the panel where the phone connects in and while the battery was connected I tested the line on the panel and there is no voltage.

Yesterday I tested the actual phone line into the house.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

Sup08 wrote: »
    Hi Koolkid,
    Ok, I powered it off and back on again removing the battery reset/jumper.

Still have the telecom fault.
    I see on the panel where the phone connects in and while the battery was connected I tested the line on the panel and there is no voltage.

Yesterday I tested the actual phone line into the house.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    AL

What you need to do is find the other end of the cable going to the alarm system as if you have no voltage then the line is not connected. If you take the cable out of line in on the alarm and join together then put your meter on continuity you can test the cable at the other end by joining and taken apart to make sure it is the correct cable.

• Advertisement

Thank altor,
    There is no sound from the meter joing one end of the cables together.

I take it this means there is a break somewhere in the cable

Thanks
    Al

Yes, you need to trace back the cable from the panel connection back. An oscillator would be better than a multimeter here.

Thank altor,
    There is no sound from the meter joing one end of the cables together.

I take it this means there is a break somewhere in the cable

Thanks
    Al

Do you know were the cable from the alarm panel is joined to your main line?

Thanks guys, but the cable is behind the partitioned wall as it was installed when the house was built.

Would I be able to pull a new cable through using the old cable?
    It's about 20ft from the eircom box in the hallway?

Thanks

Thanks guys, but the cable is behind the partitioned wall as it was installed when the house was built.

Would I be able to pull a new cable through using the old cable?
    It's about 20ft from the eircom box in the hallway?

Thanks

Yes you should once the cable is loose in behind the wall.

Have you tried connecting to a different pair.

There is only one pair going to the alarm box .

Thank for all the help guys, I will get some cable and try and pull it through to the box.

Al

Thank for all the help guys, I will get some cable and try and pull it through to the box.

Al

I would run in the new cable if that is the case. The alarm should be given line priority. All you have to do is connect the main line to the in on the alarm and the out to any other phones in the premises.

There is only one pair going to the alarm box .
    What type of cable is it?
    There would normally be 2 pair at the very least. Sounds like that cable may be going through a junction somewhere between the panel and the hall.

• Advertisement

There is only 1 Pair, A blue and yellowand at the eircom box they are the same colour.

There is no cable on the phone connection in the alarm box, only the blue and yellow on the line connection.

But are there spare pairs within that cable you could try switch over to.
    You could check this with a multi meter by twisting all pairs together and checking all combinations of pairs for continuity .

There is only 1 Pair, A blue and yellowand at the eircom box they are the same colour.

There is no cable on the phone connection in the alarm box, only the blue and yellow on the line connection.

If there is a problem with that cable and you only have 2 cores then pulling in the new cable to give the alarm line priority is the best solution.

KoolKid wrote: »
    But are there spare pairs within that cable you could try switch over to.
    You could check this with a multi meter by twisting all pairs together and checking all combinations of pairs for continuity .

I tried that and there was no sound from the meter,

When I get a chance, i'll try pulling the cable through to see if it is loose enough to rewire that way.

Thanks guys again

Ahh hopefully it's something as simple as that. Let us know how you get on.

Will do

Advertisement