Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you good to machinery?

Options
  • 05-04-2014 7:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

well would you be good to machinery? do you grease them often/ check oil/ wash muck off them etc?

do you keep the stuff in a shed out of the weather?

it shocks me sometimes looking at condition of stuff on donedeal especially tractors. it amazes me how someone can allow them get into such a condition.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

No im not, everything does what it should and is maintained to such, however it doesnt always look the prettiest. I'm not into machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

I try my best to look after my gear, it does take a bit of time, but I'd prefer to spend 10 mins greasing oiling etc, than spend 2 hours repairing. Nothing worse than a breakdown when your under pressure trying to get a job done. I think machinery and spare parts are too expensive not to be taken care of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Have most stuff here to do all the work we have but I don't like machinery tbh. Just don't have the time to devote if one breaks down.

No shed available to put them in for winter either.

I'd do my best to look after tractors though as I reli on them a lot. But don't get cleaned as much as they should.
    When I'm free now in summer they will get hoovered and cleaned inside and out

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I am crap at machinery. Do the basic's and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

I was talking to contractor one time and I commented about his machinery always being clean and he reckoned if you gave a driver a spotless tractor he'd look after it.
    It must work cos there's not a scratch on any machine he has.

Got a new quad recently and a lad in labouring for the day took it into the only wet spot on the whole farm, got it stuck and then snapped the mudguard pulling it out.
    If it had been the old quad I'd have just thought "F*ck it, sh*t happens" but instead I lost the plot.

So I think there's a hidden benefit in keeping things well. Not just oiled/greased/serviced but actually clean also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

well would you be good to machinery? do you grease them often/ check oil/ wash muck off them etc?

do you keep the stuff in a shed out of the weather?

it shocks me sometimes looking at condition of stuff on donedeal especially tractors. it amazes me how someone can allow them get into such a condition.

yes...(don't have much machinery) though I used work at repairing plant/agri machinery...you see some crazy repair bills put up for the want of grease and very basic maintenance!!!

though nothing annoys me more to see stuff wreaked and pissing oil from every seal/gasket
    you can really extend and reduce depreciation in tractors espially with basic maintenance....the thing ive seen on the road
    tractors held together with wire and they might be 3 years old!!!

basic 4wd drive hub...seals are e100 + e30 oil (approx.)....to repair in event of failure e400+ minimum
    makes no sense not to keep eye on/repair leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Try our best to keep gear right, and clean. Do a bit of work elsewhere and always think it makes a better impression if you turn in with gear looking relatively clean. Noticed here over the years that if a contractor arrived with tidy gear you can expect tidy work, if its mucked to the eye balls you can guarantee its a bull on get the job done as quick as can be done, dont care about it sort of attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,372 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Yep. Everything here is washed after every job and has a place in a shed also. Hate leaving machines out in the elements. I believe if you look after machines they will look after you. Also it's easier to fix any problems once a year every year so that they don't build up to a huge repair bill at one time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

I'm brutal, have a six year old tractor here and have never washed it.

Keep it greased an and serviced regularly though.

Sheds are for livestock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the thing is how do you see whats wrong with the item when its dirty. when its clean one can see straight away that a r pin is missing or that there is a hairline crack coming in the mower or whatever. easier to fix a thing before it breaks than when its broken in a few pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

mf240 wrote: »
    I'm brutal, have a six year old tractor here and have never washed it.

Keep it greased an and serviced regularly though.

Sheds are for livestock.

What about machinery sheds or cold stores? Keep machinery fairly good condition here. Greased all the time, everything is pulled into shed and given once over at start of season or during winter. Tractors and machinery are regularly washed and painted. Most kit is kept in sheds, big harvesters are outside but sprayed with oil and covered with tarpaulin. Some smaller stuff is kept in the poly-tunnels during the winter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Everything serviced on the button by the dealer. Would grease loader weekly. Wouldn't start anything without checking oil.
    Everything except slurry tank shed stored, just too expensive to be doing repairs
    Funny never dip jeep or car. Jeep gets washed when its serviced must be due soon as is manky. Dealer I always deal with says he has an acre belonging to me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

micraX wrote: »
    Most kit is kept in sheds, big harvesters are outside but sprayed with oil and covered with tarpaulin.

Does the machinery not sweat under the tarpaulin? I know the vintage lads tend not use them as causes the paint to bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Muckit wrote: »
    Does the machinery not sweat under the tarpaulin? I know the vintage lads tend not use them as causes the paint to bubble

Not really, hasn't caused any trouble yet. Obviously electric control boxes and that are taken off, stored in sealed containers in the loft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Greasing and oil changes yes, but only wash the tractor when it's going to vintage rallies! Some machinery is in a shed, tractor, plough, fert spreader but slurry gear is always out, it's galvanized. I reckon a lot of younger lads are afraid to dirty their hands with a grease gun:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

I haven't washed the jeep in 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Muckit wrote: »

agh...tis better to have it under tarpaulin than out in weather rotting

some vintage lads take it too far...spending >8K doing up a 135:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

I haven't washed the jeep in 2 years

I have never seen our tractor being washed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I get it a full service every year for jeep and tractor and fix somethings that break in the mean time. I hate machinery but if i wasnt busy milking cows i think i wouldnt mind it! I think you have to have your prioritys right

• Registered Users Posts: 24,372 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I have never seen our tractor being washed...

That would drive me mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aya xxv

I have a deutz compact for sports turf work did a demo day there a while back and a deutz dealer offered me 6k less than new cos it's spotless. It's an 06!!! Keep it in the shed greased and serviced. Also have an ursus 3512 stored out serviced and greased difference is unbelievable

Advertisement