Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1 Gone Missing In Armagh City

Options
  • 05-04-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

My girlfriend lives in Armagh City and up until fairly recently she was able to receive all the Republic's stations, they all came in down around the 800 mark.

RTE 1 has now disappeared, all the other stations remain.

I've tried an auto rescan with no success.
    Ive tried a manual scan again no results.
    I've tried auto rescan with the Irish Republic set as our home country again with no result.

I appreciate that RT£ 1 and 2 and TG4 are been broadcast out of Belfast on the UK transmitters but my girlfried is using the local transmitter and they don't broadcast those signals.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think she is receiving her signal from the Monaghan transmitter.

Any suggestions as what might be happening and how can we receive RTE 1 again. It is a rented house she is living in at the moment so doesn't really want to have to do major work to the aerial.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RTE1HD is the only one left. The other one was switched off last week. She will need a better ariel

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

efb wrote: »
    RTE1HD is the only one left. The other one was switched off last week. She will need a better ariel
    thanks for that bit of information. Any idea as to whether or not I could tune in manually to RTE1 HD, if her tv is HD?

I see from my own television, on the farside of Armagh that RTE 1 HD is coming in on Channel 59.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Stitchy

If there is a good enough signal & her tv gets any of the Saorview services, it should find them all on an auto scan.

No point manually scanning or changing country settings, the signal for the 2nd multiplex just isn't good enough.

Stitchy wrote: »
    If there is a good enough signal & her tv gets any of the Saorview services, it should find them all on an auto scan.

No point manually scanning or changing country settings, the signal for the 2nd multiplex just isn't good enough.
    Gets them all RTE 2, TG4, 3e and I think but I'm not to sure RTE News.

As I said in my opening I've tried the Auto and Manual rescan but can't get either RTE 1 or RTE 1 HD anywhere

RTE1, RTE1 +1 & RTE jnr. are the channels on the 2nd multiplex (mux. 2). It's perfectly possible you could have a good enough signal for the others but not these or vice-versa.

If there are no obvious faults in the aerial system, the whole thing may just need a general overhaul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kah22 wrote: »
    I'm not 100 percent sure but I think she is receiving her signal from the Monaghan transmitter.

Use the Saorview coverage checker to find the recommended transmitter for her location - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/, simply input her postcode in the search box.

What type of aerial is installed indoor/oudoor/attic?
    Are there separate aerials for both Saorview and Freeview?

Hi guys many thanks for your answers to date. Here's an update.

I was wrong in thinking that the aerial was pointed to Monghan in fact it is pointed in the general Newry, Dundalk direction that I'm assuming is the CLERMONT CARN transmitter

However, when I used the post code checker, as suggested by The Cush, and ran her details through it it was giving the Monaghan transmitter. So where do I go now.

I've checked the aerials from the ground and yes she has two aerials one for Freeview and the other for Saorview and it is a roof top aerial both aerials have signal boosters attached ie two boosters one for each aerial. CLERMONT CARN is directing me to Channels: 52, 56 while Monaghan is directing me to Channels 55 and 59

However, when I used the post code checker, as suggested by The Cush, and ran her details through it it was giving the Monaghan transmitter. So where do I go now.

I've checked the aerials from the ground and yes she has two aerials one for Freeview and the other for Saorview and it is a roof top aerial both aerials have signal boosters attached ie two boosters one for each aerial. CLERMONT CARN is directing me to Channels: 52, 56 while Monaghan is directing me to Channels 55 and 59

The channels from both transmitters are in the same aerial group so it would only be a matter of swinging the aerial around towards Monaghan provided there are no obstacles to reception in that general direction. Clermont Carn may have been used during analogue transmission because it carried all 4 channels in UHF while Monaghan carried 3 channels in both UHF/VHF (2 aerials required).

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

You need to watch those boosters because the digital signal tends to be a lot "stronger" and over amplification can cause problems with digital.

You need to watch those boosters because the digital signal tends to be a lot "stronger" and over amplification can cause problems with digital.

That's correct, too much signal can be as bad as too little.

• Advertisement

I've checked the aerials from the ground and yes she has two aerials one for Freeview and the other for Saorview and it is a roof top aerial both aerials have signal boosters attached ie two boosters one for each aerial.

Maybe only one of these "boosters" is actually an amplifier (the other is a combiner) & it's missing its power supply.

Are there any likely looking devices plugged in behind the tv? (Masthead amplifier PSU.)

Now it mightn't necessarily be located behind the tv, but it's a good 1st place to look.

Advertisement