Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on studying for Maths

Options
  • 05-04-2014 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Maths is definitly my weakest subject, largely due to the fact that I can't sort out an effective study method for it. I failed it last year which is why I am repeating, but just wondering is any advice on tackling the subject since it's not as straight forward as memorizing, like other subjects.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Do questions. I'm studying engineering and my method hasn't changed since pre-Junior Cert. DO QUESTIONS.

Look at the process your going through in each question. While you can't memorized content in maths, you can memorize method and you can memorize formulas!
    Got a trig question? Well, what have they given me? Okay, I'll write that all down on the sheet.

Now, what am I looking for? Okay, I'll write that down on the sheet too.

Now, what equations do I know that could sort this mess out? Let me just write a few equations that come to my mind down

....ah! Yes! There we go, that equation has only 1 unknown in it and I can solve it now!

(or alternatively..) Oh, there are no equations with 1 unknown.....but this equation has 2 unknowns ax & by.....and this equation has the same 2 unknowns cx & dy...

If I find x = by/a, then I can substitute that into the other equation (x = dy/c) and then I will have dy/c =by/a, and I know the values of a,b,c,d! Awesome! Done.

Rinse, repeat.

As for proofs, if they're still in the papers just learn the method of them and the steps involved.

Advertisement