Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying fertilizer- which first

Options
  • 05-04-2014 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering which to go first, have grazing paddock, which some have got slurry to spray, woul people spray first and then fertilize or vica versa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Was just wondering which to go first, have grazing paddock, which some have got slurry to spray, woul people spray first and then fertilize or vica versa

I've been tossing this one around in my own head for the last few week too, I have a lot of rush spraying to do this year, spray will definately cut back grass growth so I think fert. first and then spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

Milton09 wrote: »
    I've been tossing this one around in my own head for the last few week too, I have a lot of rush spraying to do this year, spray will definately cut back grass growth so I think fert. first and then spray.

I'm in same boat. Have started block grazing. Fertilzer first. Graze. Bag of CAN after grazing. Clean off with topper. I'm going to graze secondly, and then spray the rushes. I'm thinking with the green leafy grass grazed, the spray will not have such a stunting effect on regrowth.
    Does that make sense, or am I just making work for myself:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

My thoughts would be fertilize first then spray, my logic is probably wrong, but id be thinkin by doing it that way your getting the weed growing so the spray will translocate through the plant quicker and the grass which will be checked a bit will have what it needs to burst on and overpower the weeds then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Would you not be better off spraying first, that way the fertiliser you put on can be put to full use on growing grass not weeds??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Charliebull

i have decided to apply half fertiizer, spray, ferilize again, and graze and top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Zr105 wrote: »
    My thoughts would be fertilize first then spray, my logic is probably wrong, but id be thinkin by doing it that way your getting the weed growing so the spray will translocate through the plant quicker and the grass which will be checked a bit will have what it needs to burst on and overpower the weeds then

This makes the most sense to me, heard an advisor saying the same a few yrs back

Advertisement