Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing French outside of school?

Options
  • 05-04-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So if i do french outside of school purely for college entrance I would think I could do more subjects within my school which i am better at, for more points.(I would be doing OL as i feel there is no need to do HL if it is not for points)

The problem is finding somewhere to do french outside of school, does anyone have useful links etc to find somewhere to learn the course? (grinds etc who would do the course with me?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

First of all, what year are you in OP? Did you do French for your jc and if so how did you get on?

Aural 100 marks 25%
    Comprehensions 160 marks 40%
    Written Expression 60 marks 15%
    Oral 80 marks 20%

The reason as to why I'm asking that is the fact that you may not be in time for the oral exams. However at OL that is 20%.

OL is fairly manageable - in fact you could do it easily yourself. 40% of the marks are going for the reading comprehensions which are fine. The aural section may be slightly more challenging yet with practice, you will be well able to do well.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lodip

d1234 wrote: »
    First of all, what year are you in OP? Did you do French for your jc and if so how did you get on?

Aural 100 marks 25%
    Comprehensions 160 marks 40%
    Written Expression 60 marks 15%
    Oral 80 marks 20%

The reason as to why I'm asking that is the fact that you may not be in time for the oral exams. However at OL that is 20%.

OL is fairly manageable - in fact you could do it easily yourself. 40% of the marks are going for the reading comprehensions which are fine. The aural section may be slightly more challenging yet with practice, you will be well able to do well.

Best of luck!

I did HL in the Junior Cert and got a C. ( I got 68% in the mocks if that indicts on which spectrum of the C.

In my opinion, i think i could've got higher at the JC as my teacher was ill for sometime and did not have a teacher.

I'm in 4th Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

I don't think you'd need grinds at all, maybe a few for oral exam prep but other than that, if you work your way through exam papers and be able to competently answer the written section you'll be sound
    Text book wise, Tout va Bien (both editions) aren't that great, Bonne Route (I think it called) is also pretty usless. Best bet is Edcos one, Triomphe Au Bac Ordinaire, (they have separate editions for higher and ordinary.)
    Edit; do lots of listening exercises; it'll help you for both aural and pronunciation in the oral

Advertisement