Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first MLB game

Options
  • 05-04-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Going to my first MLB game this summer. When looking at tickets there seems to be a lot of choice. Where is the best place to sit in the stadiums, up high or close to the bases. Is behind the batter usually better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Going to my first MLB game this summer. When looking at tickets there seems to be a lot of choice. Where is the best place to sit in the stadiums, up high or close to the bases. Is behind the batter usually better?

It's personal opinion really. To me I like being level with the 1st or 3rd base, so you're essentially looking sideways at the pitcher's delivery. Gives you a good view of the speed and movement of the pitch and whether it's high or low, but you've no idea about the placement being inside or outside.

Depends on the ballpark too. If it's got a short distance to center field there can be a good view from seats out there and you're looking at a zoomed out version of the angle you see on tv from behind the pitcher.

I don't like spending money on seats behind home plate, even elevated. Again depends on the ballpark but I normally don't go above $50 for a seat, and at that price point there's usually a lot of options, and in a lot of ballparks you can get good seats for a good bit less than that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Which city are you going to be in? Maybe someone has been to a game there before and can give you specific advice on that stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I might be going to a ball game as I'm heading to NY in May. I see the Mets have the Nats Friday through Sunday. A few questions -
    1) Which game would be the best to go to in relation to seeing the better players? I know they rotate a good bit in baseball, does it make much difference?
    2) In Citi field, where's the best place to sit?
    3) Would it actually be worth it going to see these teams? Are they much good?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

evil_seed wrote: »
    I might be going to a ball game as I'm heading to NY in May. I see the Mets have the Nats Friday through Sunday. A few questions -
    1) Which game would be the best to go to in relation to seeing the better players? I know they rotate a good bit in baseball, does it make much difference?
    2) In Citi field, where's the best place to sit?
    3) Would it actually be worth it going to see these teams? Are they much good?

Cheers

1) Most of the position players play every day so it's really only the the pitchers that change (obviously there are some slight tweaks to the line up every day with guys getting a rest here and there but for the most part the same guys line out most of the time). This far out it's hard to say who'll be pitching but to be honest, the Nationals probably have the best pitching rotation is the game at the moment so whoever they throw out is going to be good. And the Mets have some great young pitchers too (but a pretty poor offence) so I don't think any game of that series will be too different to the others. However I prefer night games as I think there's better atmosphere so if it was me, I'd pick a night game over a day game.

2) It all depends on your budget of course. I've been at 16 games at CitiField and part from one game when I splashed out, I've never been able to afford the best seats but if you have the cash, the closer to home plate would be best. But if you want really cheap seats, then I'd recommend section 414-415. They're up high but directly behind home plate and you get a great view of the entire field. My favourite of the 'non-expensive' seats is in section 134-135. Its out join left field and again has a good view. Stay away from the 500's in the outfield though. they're dirt cheap but normally always empty and no atmosphere.

3) The Nats are predicted to be one of, if not the best team in baseball this season and they should easily win the NL East and content for the World Series. The Mets are probably still another year away from being able to contend in the division but as I said above, they have a good, young pitching staff so they won;t be awful anyway (he says hopefully!). The thing about baseball is that the worst team can beat the best team any day, you just don't know. So I'd definitely recommend going. It's a great night out.

Make sure you cheer for the Mets...!!!!

If you have any other questions about Citi Field,fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

8-10 wrote: »

It's personal opinion really. To me I like being level with the 1st or 3rd base, so you're essentially looking sideways at the pitcher's delivery. Gives you a good view of the speed and movement of the pitch and whether it's high or low, but you've no idea about the placement being inside or outside.

As a boy I sat where my father put me! But in more recent years, given the choice, any time I've visited Toronto and been to a game (and the latter naturally follows the former!) I sit within a dozen rows back of the dugout on the first base side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mod9maple wrote: »
    As a boy I sat where my father put me! But in more recent years, given the choice, any time I've visited Toronto and been to a game (and the latter naturally follows the former!) I sit within a dozen rows back of the dugout on the first base side.

Pretty much always sat in the 500 level at Rogers Center myself! $9 tickets too good to refuse and free pizza if the starter gets 7K's...meant free pizza everyday Halladay pitched! Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I like to be somewhere close to first or third base.

A lot of newer stadiums are designed to be open so you can buy cheap seats and then walk around.

Advertisement