Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 project

Options
  • 04-04-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

Didn't have a project thread just some random pics so here it goes.
    This has been moving very slowly. Nearly all spare student money has gone into mechanical stuff but it will hopefully pick up this summer on the camper side of things. Not much left to do with the spanners.

2uzuoh0.jpg

have it two years now. Nice clean van with the manuals and everything. Got it cheap enough as it was in limp mode and 'needed a MAF sensor' as they say. It was cutting out at junctions but mechanically the engine seemed good. Picked up a vagcom cable and only found a fault with the coolant temperature sensor and fuel shut-off solenoid:confused:. After much head scratching I found someone had bodged a power supply to the solenoid from the indicators. I removed the bodge, traced the fault in the wiring loom and we were on our way :). Cheap fix in the end, although took a few weeks doing 50mph max before I got it figured out.

Timing belts were the next big thing to sort. 2 of the feckers and a water pump. The cambelt was handy but the injection belt was fiddly to get set up right. Also flushed out the coolant system and refilled it with fresh g12.
    img2035d.jpg

img2038q.jpg

Lining up the these marks on the pump bracket and flywheel with your camshaft in the No.1 TDC postion puts your injection timing in the ball park and after that you have to check it with VCDS and make tiny adjustments to get it dead on. Took me about 6 or 7 goes to get it.
    img2031o.jpg

Had the sump off and resealed and a had gander at her insides. All looked well. Pickup strainer was nice and clean. It looked like it was serviced from time to time anyway.
    img2066pw.jpg

Cleaned the EGR pipe and blanked it off. This is a pic one year later, still nice and clean:).
    img0182ij.jpg

It did look like this(Not my pic, I had the marigolds out tongue.png). I want to do the intake manifold at some stage, but it's tricky to get off and the black stuff is nasty to deal with.
    DSCF0792.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Gave her some new front brakes and flushed the fluid.
    98x4.jpg
    Shiny
    img0084xar.jpg

Damper pulley should have been done with the cam belt but didn't have the funds for one at the time. 200 for the OE one but I picked up an OE quality Febi one online for 120.
    img0144yt.jpg

After all my work she failed her first DOE on cracked front hoses and a TRE.

img0167vk.jpg
    img0168jw.jpg
    Can't really argue with that :pac:, so on with new ones,
    img0166pl.jpg

The first fun job was picking up one of these of a lad breaking an ACV.

img0173zh.jpg

img0180sv.jpg
    No more bit of wavin coming from the turbo to the manifold.
    2ngrmft.jpg

Made the van sound alot nicer and seem much happier at higher RPMs.

The section containing the cat had a hole in it so I replaced it with a section of a '97 2.4d t4 that has only a silencer instead.

The IC, EGRclean/ blank and a decat pipe made it a nicer drive. It breaths freely now at least.

That's about it up to date. Apart from I changed the gearbox oil at 120k. Should keep it going for another 120.

It needs new back pads and disks:cool:. Rotten. This summer at the latest if they even make it through the DOE in a few weeks.
    p84m.jpg

Got front upper and lower ball joint to do and a box of other bits I've picked up over the winter.

Other things to do.
    Rebuild the front N/S caliper
    Get on with the conversion.
    Sort out some paint chips on the arches and bonnet(might go mad and roller paint the whole thing a different colour)
    Get some nicer wheels.
    Fog lights.
    Heated leather seats(alfa or saab??).
    Lower it 30mm.
    Shocks are tired.
    New tie rods.
    Would love Volvo V70 injectors and a remap.
    Investigating fitting a VNT turbo at the moment.
    Upgrade the brakes.

Had a go at the front N/S caliper last week.

First I gave it a quick wire wheel treatment with the drill ant then hooked it up to an old foot pump to pop the piston.
    28814sh.jpg

No need for a compressor for this bit but it would have been handy for cleaning out the cylinder.
    some video action

It's been dodgy a while, the nick in the dust seal has been there at least 2 years. This brake was at about 80% of the effort of the other front in the last DOE and I could hear it sticking on a bit when driving.

2hd8qk5.jpg

At first I thought the caliper itself might be a goner and I didn't like the look of the piston either but the corrosion hadn't passed the square seal, just brake dust and other dirt.

2e32813.jpg
    142sq4n.jpg

Plenty of dirt embedded behind the seal.
    15s924i.jpg

I cleaned out the grooves for the seals with a small little brass wheel for a rotary tool, methalated spirits and cut up strips of a green kitchen scrubber. Took about 2 hours to get them looking OK. Small bit of pitting where the dust seal sits on the piston but the rest turned out well.

27zxac5.jpg

2w4jv2v.jpg

Stuck it all back to together with two new seals. They were 18 quid off the dealer.

This is a good video. Shows the technique for getting the dust seal back on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcClOfFmlg

It's better than before but not 100%, still a bit sticky. I'm going to get a new piston this week. I think its the surface on it the old one that the problem, should have binned it straight away. Live and learn :).

Got some interior stuff done.

I removed the rear headlining and insulated the back of them with some foil backed eps I picked up in in lidl one day. Probably not as good as bubble foil but alot cheaper. Turned out well enough. Easy enough to work with. Took a can and a half of the bostik fast tac to stick it down.

img0308wq.jpg

img0307gxt.jpg

img0306sa.jpg

I also touched up any scratches on the ceiling of the van with hammerite straight to rust and cleaned the a-pillar covers in the bath :p. Got carpet cleaner at the headliner in the cab too. Both turned out like new :)

Today I gave the ceiling a good clean down with white spirit and got half the back roof insulated. Stuck the bubble foil on with the same bostik spray.

v2r53q.jpg

2vlp2dy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Awesome work :D keep er up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

This is very interesting for me. Over the years, I've converted two T4s and drove a T4 Multivan up to late last year.

The Multivan Highline leather seats are heated and have folding armrests. They would be a perfect fit, of course. They are comfortable too. Might get them easily from Germany? I have pics of the inside of the Multivan if they might help.

Gosub wrote: »
    This is very interesting for me. Over the years, I've converted two T4s and drove a T4 Multivan up to late last year.

The Multivan Highline leather seats are heated and have folding armrests. They would be a perfect fit, of course. They are comfortable too. Might get them easily from Germany? I have pics of the inside of the Multivan if they might help.

Never heard of them multivan seats. Very nice, straight fit and armrests is great, but over 500 euro each just posted within germany! some on ebay.de.

This is a bit of a budget operation for the next while. No fancy stuff :pac:. Do have to look into how to get the german post only ebay.de stuff to Ireland. Some nice VR6 calipers on there for reasonable money.

Done a bit more work on the roof today.

I've been putting flashband onto the panels as I go along. Deadens them a bit. The centre panel is stock :).
    es9npf.jpg

Also forgot to mention I'm only sticking the bubblefoil around the edges so it hangs down about 5-10mm from the roof. Should help to keep heat in and out. I noticed when doing the panel in the cab on a sunny day that if you hold the foil against the roof you can feel a surprising amount of heat conducting through, so it made sense to let it sag a tiny bit. Air gaps are supposed to be good for sound proofing too. I found cutting 2 60x60cm square the handiest way to do each panel.

2m5knr6.jpg

I filled all the cross members in the roof with recycled plastic wool. Just tore off small lumps and pushed them in from the centre and either end. Grand stuff to work with. Doesn't itch at all and it won't absorb moisture like rock wool. 20 quid for a 8m roll in BnQ. I think I'll do the same for all the pillars and any other cavities I can get it into.
    2v13jio.jpg

14l23ki.jpg

With that all done I trimmed of any excess bits around the edges and made a start at sealing it all in with foil tape.
    30bzluh.jpg

Advertisement