Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saltwater seatrout

Options
  • 04-04-2014 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi, im thinking of trying for saltwater seatrout in an estuary , whats the story about a rod licence, do I need one for a fly rod in saltwater and does anyone have a link to anywhere selling saltwater seatrout flies..thanks lads..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

you need one to keep any salmon or seatrout, all fish must have a tag. the license is to keep fish i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Licence
    A State Licence is required to fish for salmon and sea trout

All sea trout over 40cm kept must be tagged, and the logbook filled out accordingly.
    It is prohibited to keep or kill any sea trout in Connemara or the Ballinakill district.
    It is prohibited sell rod sea trout over 40cm between January 1st and October 31st

This applies to Sea, Estuary, or River.

Flies resembling shrimp or small fish are best. But its more a matter of size than pattern.

I hope you know that your gear will take a hammering from saltwater. At least a #8 rod is needed and a reel suitable for saltwater.

you need one to keep any salmon or seatrout, all fish must have a tag. the license is to keep fish i think.

No, the licence is to fish for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Licence
    A State Licence is required to fish for salmon and sea trout

All sea trout over 40cm kept must be tagged, and the logbook filled out accordingly.
    It is prohibited to keep or kill any sea trout in Connemara or the Ballinakill district.
    It is prohibited sell rod sea trout over 40cm between January 1st and October 31st

This applies to Sea, Estuary, or River.

Flies resembling shrimp or small fish are best. But its more a matter of size than pattern.

I hope you know that your gear will take a hammering from saltwater. At least a #8 rod is needed and a reel suitable for saltwater.

Cheers srameen, ill be fishing catch and release, what price is the state licence?

Rather than list it all here have a look at the IFI website for details.
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon/salmon_licence.htm

Basically a full annual licence is €100.

Again, is your gear up to the saltwater?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Rather than list it all here have a look at the IFI website for details.
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon/salmon_licence.htm

Basically a full annual licence is €100.

Again, is your gear up to the saltwater?

Thanks for the link, as for my gear I havent bought it yet, ive fished salmon and sea trout and brown trout in freshwater in the past but have been out of fishing for a few years, I have quite a lot of expensive freshwater gear but will be buying some saltwater kit for the spot I have in mind for this year..so any suggestions for good seawater gear will be welcome..

I never did it myself as I don't like the idea of fly fishing against coastal breezes! And I can't justify more gear just for an odd day doing it - bad enough with the freshwater fly equipment, pike gear and sea spinning and baiting tools without adding this to the room full of stuff!

I'm sure somebody here will have advice. Or do an internet search.

Enjoy!

Advertisement