Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone who has never watched TV; what one episode do you tell them to watch?

Options
  • 04-04-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

So ... "if you could only show someone one episode of television to convince them to watch the medium, which one would it be and why?‎"

I saw this on another forum and wanted to know what the boardsies thought.

I think my immediate response would be 'Remedial Chaos Theory' from Community. It's just such an amazing piece of writing that has everything. The unique structure which explores the group's characters and dynamics means that it also works as an introductory piece. Not to mention that it's hilarious. It was mind blowing to me who has watched TV my whole life, so I'd love to see how someone who'd never seen TV would react.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It's a good question but the rescue from New Caprica in BSG although hard to follow out on context is an amazing episode of TV.

I'm sure there is a game of thrones episode too that has it all but one just isn't jumping out at me over the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Ski Lodge Episode in Frasier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

In the Pale Moonlight. Star Trek DS9.

Brilliant episode, It's a faaaaakkkkeeeeeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Funnily enough the person who started this thread on the other forum I stole this from made the exact same suggestion .... It wasn't you, was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Only fools and Horses a Touch of Glass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

ziedth wrote: »
    It's a good question but the rescue from New Caprica in BSG although hard to follow out on context is an amazing episode of TV.

I'm sure there is a game of thrones episode too that has it all but one just isn't jumping out at me over the others.

Baelor Ep9. Season 1, Game of Thrones (Directed by Adam Taylor, Thor 2 and the upcoming Terminator Reboot/sequel) There obviously a massive spoiler in it. It is by far the best episode of that series. Season 1 was as tight as hell to the book.

The pilot episode of Friday Night Lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pine Barrens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

No way.... The Radio Ham or Blaz-Y-Boy....

Or that first episode with the Borg on Star Trek: The Next Generation.... "Q Who" it's called I think..

Also, if I knew someone who never watched TV but was just about to start I would tell them not to as their life would be far more productive.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Two Cathedrals - The West Wing

The ending is possibly the best 5 min of tv ever produced. Doesn't seem to be on you tube so I couldn't embed it.

But here it is.

Small bit of context for anyone who hasn't seen the full episode. Some of it spoilered just in case

The president has been engulfed in a bit of a scandal about non disclosure of an illness. He is on his way to an organised press conference where they have lined up an easy question from a planted journalist to allow him answer a question he is prepared for. What everyone wants to know though is will he run again (for re-election).
    Earlier in the episode
    his secretary and life long mother figure was killed in a car accident
    . A series of flash backs show his interaction with her and how well she knows him. Reading signs like him putting his hands in his pockets when he has made a decision about something.
    The episode charts his grief and turmoil both at her loss and the scandal, a visit to a cathedral where he rants in latin against God, throwing a cigarette butt to the floor in defiance. The clip kicks off as he prepares to leave the White House. I've yet to come across a better piece of drama matched to music - in this case Dire Straits Brothers In Arms.
    As Leo says Watch This

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Se1251an

Paddys pub- Home of the original kitten mittens. It's always sunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably, Marge vs the Monorai (monoroil episode)l, Last Exit to Springfield(Lisa needs braces) or You Only Move Twice (the Hank Scorpio episode) of The Simpsons.

Hard to recommend something in a show where there'd be spoilers, so something like The Simpsons would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jaynestown from Firefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

"College", the fifth episode in the Sopranos. Epic from start to finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

hard to choose but it would have to be Only Fools & Horses, maybe the Mother Nature's Son episode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Pilot of Twin Peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Civilisation: A Personal View by Kenneth Clark.

Episode One: The Skin of Our Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think it would have to be a pilot as they are, by their nature, for someone who hasn't seen the show before. From there, it's tough to make a decision but maybe The Sopranos. Raf32's suggestion of "college", the fifth episode, is very good though and early enough in the show that someone could view it without knowing the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Jaynestown from Firefly.

Amazing choice

I can't remember the name of the episode were Simon is
    told Kaylee is dead (after been partly responsible for it) in surgery and rushed down the stares and then he finds her waving to him
    it jump cuts to the rest of the crew in the cockpit laughing their asses off at the expense of him

One of the few genuine LOL's/you bastards moments on TV

begins at 1:40

God that show was so much fun . It had its cake and ate it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Pilot episode of the West Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Pine Barrens in The Sopranos. Simply brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Two Cathedrals - The West Wing

Oddly enough these were the first two that popped into my head before I even opened the thread.

Ultimately though it's gotta be Fawlty Towers: "The Germans" - it's timeless...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any one of David Attenborough's programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

An episode of Sherlock... Either the first one (A Study in Pink) or A Scandal in Belgravia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Only fools , the handgliding one "is that a phone i hear rodney " :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Macgyver pilot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

In the Pale Moonlight. Star Trek DS9.

Brilliant episode, It's a faaaaakkkkeeeeeee.

That is a brilliant shout. I loved DS9 And I remember watching the end of that episode thinking that he was going to come clean and go down the classic star trek route. the exchange between Sisko and Garrick was great too.

The episode of Scrubs where Brendan Frasier
    Dies and it doesn't reveal it till the end at his funeral
    really broke my heart at the time. It was just a brilliant reveal and had the classic mix of comedy and tragedy that Scrubs did so well when it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Joseph Campbell. The power of myth. Watch TV and blow your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

probably the first episode of the walking dead which imo is the best opener ever to a television series

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Funnily enough the person who started this thread on the other forum I stole this from made the exact same suggestion .... It wasn't you, was it?

No but that guy has great taste, its just pure genius from start to finish and there is probably a good joke every 30 seconds in that episode.

I'd also add The Matchmaker which is in season 2 which is probably my second favorite episode and the episode with Patrick Stewart in the final season was genius as well. Ham Radio from season 4 was another classic as was the episode in the first season called " A Mid Winter Nights dream" which features the greatest double entendre of all time.

Personally I always get the feeling Frasier was never fully appreciated by the viewing public very few people I talk to were fans of the show and it's viewership when it was on TV wasn't spectacular either.

• Advertisement

No way.... The Radio Ham or Blaz-Y-Boy....

Or that first episode with the Borg on Star Trek: The Next Generation.... "Q Who" it's called I think..

Also, if I knew someone who never watched TV but was just about to start I would tell them not to as their life would be far more productive.. :)

Bla Z Boy is an excellent episode although it does come in one of the 3 weakest seasons of the show.

Advertisement