Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Drainage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I suggested grants (that'd be "free money" :D ) for drainage and liming land early on in CAP, there was no interest in putting it forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,372 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I suggested grants (that'd be "free money" :D ) for drainage and liming land early on in CAP, there was no interest in putting it forth.

Take some of the expensive away from replacing them dipper arms eh con ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If a grant was introduced the price would sky rocket. It not like shed building etc where a lot of the expense is tied up in steel, stone and concrete. The other issue is to police it and make sure people do it right. The cost varied and different land needs different methods.

Also a lot of land would be helped if farmers cleaned open drains and fenced them off so stock could not access. Lots of farmers have a mental block about open drains and I have seen them filled in. TBH giving a grand will not keep a bad farmers doing the right thing after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I would never have guessed that there is only a quarter of the lime being spread now as there was in 83 .
    We are a perfect example of it here . The father did alot of draining , liming and reclaimed alot of wet land . He even did a few acres of bog that teagasc used to bring people out to to show them how it turned out so well . But a couple of wet summers and money getting tighter left it without maintenance and its back to bog and rushes again .
    He is disillusioned with the whole thing now and reckons if he had his time all over again he should have planted it all because it never payed him to do everything he did and for the money thats out of farming now doesnt think it would pay to even clean the drains .
    Maybe he is right or maybe not but it things aren't at least kept half drained and maintained the land will be very different and alot less unproductive in another 10/20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Cleaned all open drains a few years back and fence them off has helped have also drained a couple of spots in lower lying areas that are always wet in winter can see the difference now.yeah it does cost but it's better than getting pissed off looking at the place in scutter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement