Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slurry or fertilizer which do i apply first

Options
  • 04-04-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondering which should I apply first on my silage fields slurry or fertilizer and what length of time should I leave between each application cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I normally go with slurry 1st and fertiliser about 10days later but its getting late now so it,l be 7days apart.7days would be fine especially in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Get fert out without delay so it can be working. Slurry can follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Hi guys just wondering which should I apply first on my silage fields slurry or fertilizer and what length of time should I leave between each application cheers

definitely go with slurry first and fert can go on 1 week later.

if you put on slurry on top of fertilizer, you will lose a lot of the nitrogen in the fertilizer. Its a process called Diffrenciation (not spelled right).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

putting slurry out 1st...9 wheelbarrows everyday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

putting slurry out 1st...9 wheelbarrows everyday :(

Stop cruelty to humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kingping007

Stop cruelty to humans ????

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Dunedin wrote: »
    definitely go with slurry first and fert can go on 1 week later.

if you put on slurry on top of fertilizer, you will lose a lot of the nitrogen in the fertilizer. Its a process called Diffrenciation (not spelled right).

Denitrification.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If it is fairly bare slurry first, you can put fert on when there is a bit of cover after about a week, if there is too much grass there already don't put slurry on, if it dries on top of the grass it will probably come back in with the silage.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kingping007

Thanks guys for your help slurry out today I hope it rains now...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Do the slurry first

• Advertisement
Advertisement