Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning composite deck

Options
  • 04-04-2014 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what's the best way to clean a composite deck. It's in good shape but starting to green a bit. I have a power hose but not sure what cleaning product to use. Should I also use a deck scrub type brush?

Also have some paving in the garden with 1 cm gaps between the slabs. If I powerhose the stones, is it best to fill the gaps with a paving sand or concrete?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bumble Bee2

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's a good idea to drill holes for drainage in a wooden garden deck. Does it cause problems with rot? I'm anxious as I just done that to try and get good drainage as the water was just lodging. Now I'm having nightmares that I've just done the wrong thing.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Just wondering what's the best way to clean a composite deck. It's in good shape but starting to green a bit. I have a power hose but not sure what cleaning product to use. Should I also use a deck scrub type brush?

Also have some paving in the garden with 1 cm gaps between the slabs. If I powerhose the stones, is it best to fill the gaps with a paving sand or concrete?

I had the same problem, my decking was all green, I used household bleach, poured it all over let it sit for a bit, then hosed it off.
    Looks like a brand new deck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's a good idea to drill holes for drainage in a wooden garden deck. Does it cause problems with rot? I'm anxious as I just done that to try and get good drainage as the water was just lodging. Now I'm having nightmares that I've just done the wrong thing.

I'd be a bit worried in fairness..
    The timber on the decking was likely pressure treated to protect it from rot, this leaves the outer ~3mm impregnated with a preservative. Now its not the best of processes but it is protection..
    Where you have drilled the holes the water will now be able to pass directly through the timber and have access to the untreated portion inside and could lead to rotting faster than usual..

I'm sure you've been treating the timber with a preservative. I'd recommend ensuring you get the preservative down through the holes to protect as much of the raw timber as possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bumble Bee2

Hi Brian, I have treated the holes with preservatives. Maybe I should just block off the holes with wood filler. Would you suggest that? Thanks.

Advertisement