Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP vs. Dynamic DNS service

Options
  • 04-04-2014 9:00am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? Eircom seem to charge a one-off €50, Vodafone charge €5 or €6 per month, and DynDNS is $30 per year.

I'd be looking to have remote access to a hard drive, maybe more remote devices in future like cameras, and a small website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

The main advantage is convenience, like being able to use your own domain name and not a Dyndns one, although it is possible to redirect. There can also be a slight delay when your IP changes, Dyndns needs to be updated with your new IP and needs to push those changes to Dns which can take 15-30mins, with static there is no change

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you plan on keeping the connection and are with eircom I'd buy from them. One off its good value.

If you're voda or may move, then no-ip works great and always do good deals. I have 20 hosts for a year for 22USD. If your router supports em then it can update the records for you, if not then you use their DUC program on a PC on that network. As my home server is always on I use that option. They also offer a free version where you have to manually login and renew every 30 days.

DynDNS has the advantage of being on all routers (because it used to be free) but now are paid for. Clever planning by them and if you dont have an always on PC then it can be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

The main advantage is convenience, like being able to use your own domain name and not a Dyndns one,

You can use DNS forwarding to get around this and use your own domain name. I'm lucky enough to still have 2 free DynDNS names from when they were free (i just need to log onto Dyndns once every 30 days)

TBH, for €50, if it were upto me now, I'd go for the static IP option, once you're planning to stay with Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

davo2001 wrote: »
    You can use DNS forwarding to get around this and use your own domain name. I'm lucky enough to still have 2 free DynDNS names from when they were free (i just need to log onto Dyndns once every 30 days)

TBH, for €50, if it were upto me now, I'd go for the static IP option, once you're planning to stay with Eircom.

Why edit the "although it is possible to redirect" from my post?

Why edit the "although it is possible to redirect" from my post?

Because I'm a twat that read over that part ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

davo2001 wrote:
    .......I'm lucky enough to still have 2 free DynDNS names from when they were free (i just need to log onto Dyndns once every 30 days)......
    I have this as well, getting the email once a month and clicking the link :rolleyes: it should probably be something that I could automate .... are there any companies that do it for free any more?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you're hosting a mail server then I would get a static ip.

For something like IP cctv then I wouldn't bother. If you're a business, then I would consider one as some business applications require one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

ED E wrote: »
    DynDNS has the advantage of being on all routers (because it used to be free) but now are paid for. Clever planning by them and if you dont have an always on PC then it can be the better option.

I use www.noip.com, that's still free and supported by a good few modems. You do have to verify you're still using it every month, but that literally takes 30 seconds once a month.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

But eircom are launching a new TV service - eVision, package is pretty good, good channel choice and a good price. But from what I've heard, if you want this service, you'll lose your ip address

I use www.noip.com, that's still free and supported by a good few modems. You do have to verify you're still using it every month, but that literally takes 30 seconds once a month.

Nate

If you read my post I said just that....
    MajorMax wrote: »
    But eircom are launching a new TV service - eVision, package is pretty good, good channel choice and a good price. But from what I've heard, if you want this service, you'll lose your ip address

Yep, if you chose to go with a static multicast traffic is lost and you cant get tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

ED E wrote: »
    If you read my post I said just that....

:o So you did, oops.

Nate

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks for all the feedback folks, interesting.... especially the bit about static IP not being compatible with the eVision service. I presume you could have eVision but still use a service like dyndns etc.?

One further question - is there a better router between the routers that Eircom and Vodafone would give you as regards services like dyndns? What I mean is how do the routers from each provider compare as regards connecting to the likes of dyndns and automatically updating the IP address? (I'm talking about fibre routers of course) I don't like the idea of a client doing this as I might not always have a PC running.

Yeah, dynamic + Dynamic DNS service + evision is fine.

They both use the same Zyxel unit now AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

WELL BOLLIX, look at the email I just got:

To our Dyn free hostname users:

For the last 15 years, all of us at Dyn have taken pride in offering you and millions of others a free version of our Dynamic DNS Pro product. What was originally a product built for a small group of users has blossomed into an exciting technology used around the world.

That is why with mixed emotions we are notifying you that in 30 days, we will be ending our free hostname program. This change in the business will allow us to invest in our customer support teams, Internet infrastructure, and platform security so that we can continue to strive to deliver an exceptional customer experience for our paying customers.

We would like to invite you to upgrade to VIP status for a 25% discounted rate, good for any package of Remote Access (formerly DynDNS Pro). By doing so, you'll have access to customer support, additional hostnames, and more.

http://dyn.com/blog/why-we-decided-to-stop-offering-free-accounts/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭niallb

BigEejit wrote: »
    WELL BOLLIX, look at the email I just got:
    Just got one too :-(
    I had 6 hosts on mine for many years, even with the polite mail saying two were the limit every month,
    they didn't mind when the hosts predated that restriction.

Going to have to roll my own now methinks!

Bolox, I've got 2 free hostnames running with them, haven't gotten the e-mail yet but i'll be looking into different options.

Advertisement