Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallacies of Ambiguity

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭

I've been tasked to find 3 examples of the Fallacy of Ambiguity in contemporary media but I am coming up short. Does anyone have any examples? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I've been tasked to find 3 examples of the Fallacy of Ambiguity in contemporary media but I am coming up short. Does anyone have any examples? Thanks :)

There are different types of Fallacies of Ambiguity explained with examples on this link, and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy offers a good discussion on ambiguity. The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy covers fallacies.

Argumentum ad ignorantiam (appeal to ignorance) may often occur in contemporary media; i.e., the lack of evidence is used as evidence in an argument. The red tops are filled with such fallacies. Example: "Why is so-and-so keeping so quiet about the issue? This appears very suspicious. They must be hiding something."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement