Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness Plan?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys!
    So I have a slightly overweight pony and I'm trying to slim him up a bit as we'll be showing in the summer (the important shows begin in late June, so I'm not too worried about him being a bit chubby for all the minor shows before hand).
    I was hoping that some of you might have some ideas concerning exercises we could do and how long we should school for.

He's on minimal feed at the moment and is moving out to grass soon (with a grazing muzzle as he's a good-doer). He's reasonably fit (he isn't extremely fit, but I did the Donabate Hunter Trials on him not too long ago and when we finished he was sweating, but still raring to go for another round) and he has a fair amount of muscle.
    The main issue is his stomach as it's simply a fat stomach, so I'm looking for any exercises that could help him lose weight on his tummy or just overall.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Is his worming up to date?

I find with my lad that all-over fat is hard feed, belly is either too much forage or (once, despite clear worm counts) a worm burden...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MsMac

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Is his worming up to date?

I find with my lad that all-over fat is hard feed, belly is either too much forage or (once, despite clear worm counts) a worm burden...

Yep, he's been wormed regularly. I've asked the workers at his stables to cut back on the haylage they've been giving him as another livery tipped me off that they've been feeding the horses and ponies way too much, so hopefully that's the main issue :) thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can you feed hay instead of haylage? its less fattening and keeps them busier for longer.

Advertisement