Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 carat round solitaire- good value??

Options
  • 03-04-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys I need some advice, we are looking at buying a white gold engagement ring with a 1 carat round solitiare diamond, G colour and Si1 clarity. The price is 7000 euro, would that be a good price?
    Any help would be grealty appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I personally wouldn't consider that a "good" price. It's an ok price, but considering it's white gold and not platinum, it seems more like on the steep side to me. Maybe the SI1 is adding onto the price? But colour G isn't fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Have you compared it to other similar rings in other shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭wandererz

I used to own a jewellery shop and also worked in one for a number of years before that so hopefully I have a clue as to the advice I'm giving.

When looking at an engagement ring, and assuming you're not doing it for investment purposes as well then the two things I look for are colour and clarity.

Light
    One of the worst things is looking at a diamond and noticing specks or inclusions. Sometimes this isn't even visible to the naked eye. This is determined by the clarity scale of the diamond.
    When looking at a diamond, ask for the use of a monocle so that you can better see the inclusions or scars. If they don't offer or have one then walk away. If they give you one which doesn't make much/considerable difference from normal eyesight, then walk away.

In fact, if you're spending 7K then buy a decent one yourself and keep it in your purse.

When you look at the diamond, step away from the false lighting in the shop to normal light. Preferably outside or as close to an outside window as possible. You want to see how it looks under normal day to day situations. i.e. does it sparkle! Does it catch the light and give off those radiant colours under normal lighting! (a good bit of this also has to do with the cut of the diamond).

When you show this baby off to your friends they are going to take your hand in theirs and have a good ol' look. And when you do hold your hand up to their faces, you want to be proud of it. So you better make sure they are going to be impressed!

There's no use thinking "It looked so much better in the shop" ...It's too late once you've bought it.

At the price you mentioned, I personally would be looking at VVS to VS stones.

Grading

I = "included" - avoid
    SI = "Slightly Included"
    VS = Very Slightly Included (possibly not visible)
    VVS = Very Very Slightly Included (wow! - Probably not visible under normal magnification)
    IF = Internally Flawless (wowzer!!)
    F = FLAWLESS (jeepers creepers, you got to be sh***ing me!)

Within the S and V ranges are sub ranges e.g. VS1, VS2 etc. In this case a VS1 is better than a VS2. And both the VS1 and VS2 are better than any of the SI's.
    VVS is better than the VS etc.

VVS may even have a VVS1 & VVS2 grading - depending on the certifying authority.

Then we look at colour starting from D. (D, E, F, G, H, etc)
    D is absolute best, but do you actually need it? ...No.

Anything up to G is OK in my humble opinion. Perhaps even H depending on clarity of the stone.

So, if you were looking at a VVS1/VVS2 and still G in colour - that would be a decent stone.

Stone Size
    Also, don't be fixated on the 1 carat thing.
    A 0.65 Carat VVS1 E, F or G in colour will look better than 95% or more of the 1 carat rings out there.

You can look at going several (carat) points up or down on either side, and still have a fabulous ring.
    Also, consider for example getting a smaller carat size (but great quality) with view to upgrading further down the line.
    You don't have to lose the stone if you're concerned about the sentimental value. You could later transform it into a diamond pendant for example and get a larger ring (when finances suit).
    ....imagine further down the road a 0.70 carat VVS1, F or G diamond pendant ... and a new larger engagement ring... not many folks sport those around !

Price

So, is 7K a decent price for the ring mentioned? Probably not.

I've priced up one on Blue Nile for example.
    A 1.0 carat, G, SI1 for example with an 18K white gold band works out to under €4,300.

That extra €2,700 can be put aside for a fabulous diamond wedding band or something similar at a later stage or even contribute towards the wedding or honeymoon costs.

Is it bit of a letdown buying something like this online? Perhaps, but that doesn't stop you shopping around, trying on different rings etc.
    Once you've purchased and have problems many stores want to have as little to do with you anyway.
    If purchasing online, then companies such as Blue Nile also offer return policies or to be able to view the stone before purchase...although this may mean a trip to the UK.

Perhaps even consider purchasing the stone online or elsewhere and having it set into a ring with a local jeweller.
    In the past I've read on Boards.ie some good examples of people travelling to Antwerp to source their rings with excellent results (and they get to enjoy a nice romantic break away).

White Gold or Platinum?

White Gold does need to be re-plated occasionally to maintain the silver colour (typically every year from experience).
    Platinum maintains the same colour and is similar to white gold in colour but of course is much more expensive from the start.
    Perhaps consider white gold to begin, with a view to getting it upgraded to platinum later? That extra saving now may get you a better diamond! And it's far easier to get a new platinum ring mount later than to get a new diamond!

BTW, I don't have any affiliation to the companies mentioned, I've just used it as a quick example.

In my situation i bought the ring in a shop in Galway. The whole transaction from stepping into the store took no more than 45mins because i knew what i was after (i.e. Princess Cut, VVS or better, F,G or better) and was able to get back to my partner in time for the next drink.

Spontaneous...yes it was... but when you're armed with the right info it does make a difference.

Notes:

OH! ... and make notes......(of everything)... draw tables etc.
    size, clarity, cut, price, location etc.
    Yes, it's a romantic gesture, and hopefully a once in a lifetime one at that....but that doesn't stop you from getting the best ring your (and/or your boyfriends) money can buy. Ultimately, when you go to insure it, the insurance value may be considerably less than you expect so why not try to reduce that diffrence.

Summary:
    So, to summarise:

- VVS or better
    - G or better
    - catching natural light & sparkling matters
    - carat size doesn't matter too much - if the stone looks good because of the other 3 factors above!

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Gatica wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't consider that a "good" price. It's an ok price, but considering it's white gold and not platinum, it seems more like on the steep side to me. Maybe the SI1 is adding onto the price? But colour G isn't fantastic.

Colour 'G' is considered near colourless and is perfectly acceptable. I have a 'G' colour VVS1 engagement ring, and it looks perfectly sparkly to me, thanks!

You don't get 'G' grade diamonds on the High Street. If the diamond is from a chain like H Samuel, they are usually 'H' colour. Whiich is also considered near colourless...

Have a look at this: http://www.diamondgeezer.com/diamond-buyers-guide/how-to-select-the-best-diamond-colour-shop-for-diamonds.phphttp:// which is quite a good guide to the 4C's.

Personally, I'd go for a smaller, better quality diamond for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJudy

Thanks for all the replies, I still don't know what to do. Went to my local jewellers and they have a 1 carat round solitaire for 8,500, however I don't know the spec of the diamond.

I suppose I'm just worried that I am paying over the odds, however the jewellers I am getting it from is very popular and is meant to be able to beat Antwerp/ New York and high street prices!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Colour 'G' is considered near colourless and is perfectly acceptable. I have a 'G' colour VVS1 engagement ring, and it looks perfectly sparkly to me, thanks!

You don't get 'G' grade diamonds on the High Street. If the diamond is from a chain like H Samuel, they are usually 'H' colour. Whiich is also considered near colourless...

Have a look at this: http://www.diamondgeezer.com/diamond-buyers-guide/how-to-select-the-best-diamond-colour-shop-for-diamonds.phphttp:// which is quite a good guide to the 4C's.

Personally, I'd go for a smaller, better quality diamond for the money.

Sorry, it's not a slight on your diamond, mine's a H, I think, and I still think it looks great. Cosidering colour goes from D, G didn't seem spectacular. However, now reading wandererz' excellent post, it seems I overstated colour while ignoring the more important SI vs VVS...
    In any case, seems he's also of the opinion that for that partiicular ring, 7000 is not a bargain.
    OP, you'll need to check out the specs of this other 8500 ring you're talking about, otherwise you don't know what you're getting is any good value. Main thing though, are you gonna be happy with it and is she? Best of luck, and be sure to shop around

JJudy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, I still don't know what to do. Went to my local jewellers and they have a 1 carat round solitaire for 8,500, however I don't know the spec of the diamond.

I suppose I'm just worried that I am paying over the odds, however the jewellers I am getting it from is very popular and is meant to be able to beat Antwerp/ New York and high street prices!!

Every diamond of a decent enough size (such as you are looking at) will have a grading certificate. Ask to see the grading certificate and it will list the properties of the diamond - the 4 C's.

Make a note of this, and which certifying authority issued the certificate (e.g. GIA etc), then get online and compare.

Here's just a small a sample of diamonds when i did a search just now.

Shape, Carat, Cut, Colour, Clarity
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 5 Days, EUR 7,499
    Round, 1.04, Ideal, F, IF, 9 Days, EUR 7,539
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 9 Days, EUR 7,576
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 8 Days, EUR 7,821
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 7 Days, EUR 7,875
    Round, 1.03, Ideal, F, IF, 9 Days, EUR 7,909
    Round, 1.03, Ideal, F, VVS1, 5 Days, EUR 6,851
    Round, 1.02, Ideal, F, VVS1, 5 Days, EUR 7,064
    Round, 1.02, Ideal, F, VVS1, 5 Days, EUR 7,077

The above stones are Internally Flawless to VVS1, F in colour and Ideal cut.
    Add another 600 for a platinum mounting and you're coming in at 7,500 - 8,000.

The search turned up thousands of results so i had to limit to the best cuts, colours, clarity etc within the 5,900-8K price range and even then i had to just list the first dozen or so results.

Like i said, print out a table on A4 paper, with the headings of size, cut clarity, colour, cost, location, tel. number etc and then start filling in the table with every visit to the jewellers.

Another example but in the princess cut, which looks stunning at any time:
    - Princess, 0.96, Signature Ideal, F, IF, 3 Days, EUR 5,519
    - Princess, 1.01, Signature Ideal, F, IF, 3 Days, EUR 6,293

Both of those are the best cut, Internally flawless and within the best colour range. AND still below your budget!

Most women here would die for the above rings.

Call up the jewellers you have gone into already and ask them the details of the stones you looked at.
    They should be able to call you back with the details. When they do: then fill in the details into your table.

Don't be afraid to post the results up here either.

Finally:
    I guess what i am saying is that the prices you mentioned aren't exactly a bargain.
    Consider colour in the D-G ranges, as the above poster said they will all look fantastic.
    Quality matters, so to me an SI stone doesn't cut it. Especially when spending that kind of money.

I would be looking at IF, VVS or (at a pinch) VS stones at that price range.

PS: here's another thread trending on boards.ie now: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056471848

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

wandererz wrote: »

Shape, Carat, Cut, Colour, Clarity
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 5 Days, EUR 7,499
    Round, 1.04, Ideal, F, IF, 9 Days, EUR 7,539
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 9 Days, EUR 7,576
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 8 Days, EUR 7,821
    Round, 1.01, Ideal, F, IF, 7 Days, EUR 7,875
    Round, 1.03, Ideal, F, IF, 9 Days, EUR 7,909
    Round, 1.03, Ideal, F, VVS1, 5 Days, EUR 6,851
    Round, 1.02, Ideal, F, VVS1, 5 Days, EUR 7,064
    Round, 1.02, Ideal, F, VVS1, 5 Days, EUR 7,077

just a heads up that you need to add VAT to those prices. great post though.

07734 wrote: »
    just a heads up that you need to add VAT to those prices. great post though.

That's a good point! I did not consider that.
    Nevertheless, the cut, clarities & colour are possibly far better than the OP has mentioned. So perhaps they can take all of this into account as well and adjust to suit budgets?

The cheapest one i listed above is still far better (on paper) and cheaper than the 8.5K quoted by the OP when VAT is added.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JMour1

Hi,

I have just bought my GF an engagement ring.... EXCITING!! :)

It's a single solitaire, Triple Ex Cut, GIA cert, G colour, SI 1, 1.27 carat. I began researching back in JAN and I can honestly say that was the single biggest positive action I could have taken... Research / Research / Research!

The post's above are excellent, but challenge the pricing. We are living in a negotiable world...

Oh she hasnt seen it yet as it's a surprise!!

Enjoy..

• Advertisement

JMour1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just bought my GF an engagement ring.... EXCITING!! :)

It's a single solitaire, Triple Ex Cut, GIA cert, G colour, SI 1, 1.27 carat. I began researching back in JAN and I can honestly say that was the single biggest positive action I could have taken... Research / Research / Research!

The post's above are excellent, but challenge the pricing. We are living in a negotiable world...

Oh she hasnt seen it yet as it's a surprise!!

Enjoy..

Congratulations!

& Best wishes!

Advertisement