Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st timer

Options
  • 03-04-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

So I have been invited to play a game of D&D (3.5) next weekend. I have never played before and the lads are quite experienced. I want to try and get up to speed as quick as possible. Other than reading the 331 page manual, anyone got any quick 'tips and tricks' that might help me. I have some issues with free time prior to the event (young child to take care of, busy job etc) so watching hours of youtube videos is probably not practical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

sarumite wrote: »
    So I have been invited to play a game of D&D (3.5) next weekend. I have never played before and the lads are quite experienced. I want to try and get up to speed as quick as possible. Other than reading the 331 page manual, anyone got any quick 'tips and tricks' that might help me. I have some issues with free time prior to the event (young child to take care of, busy job etc) so watching hours of youtube videos is probably not practical.

Honestly, if the group are nice it won't matter how you play as long as you try to enjoy yourself. If at all possible, try to have a good idea of what character you want to make before you go. I'd advise picking a non-spellcasting character to start with as it means a lot less rules to deal with (Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Barbarian, Fighter or Monk). You won't need to read the whole book, but I'd have a look at the races, the aforementioned classes, the skills and the feats (basically chapters 2-5). Don't get bogged down in the details, stick mostly to the summaries, the details are for reference.
    If you need to read up on how combat works, you could read Chapter 8, but a lot of it is very specific. If you're not sure how a specific skill or feat works, check the index for the word that confuses you or post up here and I'm sure someone will give you a hand.

If you look at the classes, at the end of each class is a starting package. If you want you can just follow that, maybe change one or two things to suit what you like. If you'd like, when you pick a class I can tell you what stats are important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Personally, I'd go for low low effort - figure out the type of character you want to play (including race and class, if possible), then just show up. DnD is, imo, best learned by playing with someone who knows it.

At their base level the mechanics are simple - roll a d20, add a number from tour sheet, aim for a target the DM will either tell you, or sometimes not. Most of that book is made up of special cases that you won't really need.

I'm sure either the DM or one of the players will sit down and roll a character with you. Beyond that, you can get by on saying what you want to do, and asking someone to point out what to add. You'll pick it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

To be honest among the best D&D experiences is when your character details (i.e. am I str 16 or 17) does not matter because the story woven (and the relevant rolls) are woven together so well by the GM that you simply go with what feels natural. To make your (and the GMs) life a bit more easier though I'd try to think up who you are and why you're out and about.

I.e. Are you a questing Paladin out to spread law and order or are you running away from prosecution because of your faith as your order was disbanded? Are you a Rogue because you had to steal as young or do you do it for kicks? Perhaps you're a nobel family from the steppes (Barbarian) who're out to avenge your slaughtered village (think Conan the Barbrian movie) etc. Also try to make sure there is some potential twists/plot openings for the GM to work with to weave it all into the overall story. That will also help define your character and over all skills and attitude in the game for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

If you look at the classes, at the end of each class is a starting package. If you want you can just follow that, maybe change one or two things to suit what you like. If you'd like, when you pick a class I can tell you what stats are important.

Thanks for the advice. So last night I read the charcaters and classes. I have decided to go with a dwarf fighter. The dwarf was purely a throwback to when I play LOTRO/Dragon age I used a dwarf and the rule book suggested a fighter as class.

Nody wrote: »
    I.e. Are you a questing Paladin out to spread law and order or are you running away from prosecution because of your faith as your order was disbanded? Are you a Rogue because you had to steal as young or do you do it for kicks? Perhaps you're a nobel family from the steppes (Barbarian) who're out to avenge your slaughtered village (think Conan the Barbrian movie) etc. Also try to make sure there is some potential twists/plot openings for the GM to work with to weave it all into the overall story. That will also help define your character and over all skills and attitude in the game for you.

That is how I play an RPG's anyway so it shouldn't be too difficult. Playing something like Fallout , I usually give my character a personality and base my actions and choices on that personality.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. So last night I read the charcaters and classes. I have decided to go with a dwarf fighter. The dwarf was purely a throwback to when I play LOTRO/Dragon age I used a dwarf and the rule book suggested a fighter as class.

Cool, now you just have to decide between defensive shield-wielding tank, staunch two-handed greataxe or screaming two axes of death styles :D

Cool, now you just have to decide between defensive shield-wielding tank, staunch two-handed greataxe or screaming two axes of death styles :D

Typically I would be a defensive shield wielding tank....but I do like the idea of screaming two axes of death styles. I don't want to die early on though I guess there is no 'restart'. So my head says shield it up, my heart says go crazy with the axes. Assume for now I go against my better judgement and go two axes!

Typically I would be a defensive shield wielding tank....but I do like the idea of screaming two axes of death styles. I don't want to die early on though I guess there is no 'restart'. So my head says shield it up, my heart says go crazy with the axes. Assume for now I go against my better judgement and go two axes!

Be prepared to miss a lot! ;) You'll probably also want to spend your first couple of feats on Two Weapon Fighting and Weapon Focus(your axe of choice) to raise the odds of hitting. (you need 15 dex for 2 weapon fighting, but you'll hit nothing without it). You can also increase your chances of hitting (but reduce your damage) by taking a smaller axe for your offhand (like a handaxe). It's up to you! :)

Be prepared to miss a lot! ;) You'll probably also want to spend your first couple of feats on Two Weapon Fighting and Weapon Focus(your axe of choice) to raise the odds of hitting. (you need 15 dex for 2 weapon fighting, but you'll hit nothing without it). You can also increase your chances of hitting (but reduce your damage) by taking a smaller axe for your offhand (like a handaxe). It's up to you! :)

Lets just say I do decide to use replace an axe with a shield? (I don't like missing!)

p.s thanks for the advice though, genuinely appreciated.

Lets just say I do decide to use replace an axe with a shield?

p.s thanks for the advice though, genuinely appreciated.

You'll only get 1 attack a turn for a while, but you'll hit more and do a little more damage per hit. You'll also be a little harder to hit. I'd probably still go weapon focus (basically +5% chance to hit) to raise your hit chance then either go power attack (sacrifice to hit chance to do more damage) or some kind of skill based feat (for example negotiator or agile, etc) depending on how you want your character to behave. Toughness gives you ~25% more health at level 1, not the best feat really, but if you want to go all out tanky that's the feat for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement