Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral Nerves

Options
  • 03-04-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hoping for some advice.
    I had my irish oral last week and the whole experience was terrible. I had a fight with the teacher beforehand over rescue remedy, and my nerves got the better of me. I had almost an hour of a continuous panic attack. That said, the exam didn't go too badly once it started :)
    So I guess my question is: what can I do to make the next one more bearable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

If you have worked hard for your oral then forget everything else! whenever you get worried what might happen, what if what that then just think in your mind that I just don't care! I did what I could then why am I stressing out? The sole reason why you should stress out is when you haven't done a single thing for your oral in the last two years & again if you have worked hard then forget everything else! :) try to actually believe that & hopefully that will help & I know easier said than done! Mine is on Monday but Idc :P I am just gonna study for it & see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

3raser10 wrote: »
    If you have worked hard for your oral then forget everything else! whenever you get worried what might happen, what if what that then just think in your mind that I just don't care! I did what I could then why am I stressing out? The sole reason why you should stress out is when you haven't done a single thing for your oral in the last two years & again if you have worked hard then forget everything else! :) try to actually believe that & hopefully that will help & I know easier said than done! Mine is on Monday but Idc :P I am just gonna study for it & see what happens.
    Thank you! Good luck Monday, I'm on too.. lets hope it goes better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

ohh all the very best of luck :D ah same! I am the very first one...eep! :o well hopefully we'll be all relaxed when everyone else is worried :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

I was insanely nervous in my Irish oral today, and it definitely took chunks out of my grade, I more than likely failed it (I do ordinary and just need to pass it in June, so it doesn't matter all that much, but still). My Irish Mock oral went really well considering how bad I am at the language, I was just very comfortable and it was relaxing, and my teacher is a really sound lad.

Spanish is next, and my mock was awful, I was a nervous wreck there too. I don't get along with my teacher, which probably added to the nerves, but I got a decent mark, I think it was 70/100 for general conversation. I want to push this up to 80/100 or above, but I'm terrified that I will be just as nervous on Monday, and this one is very important to me.

I rub my face a lot, huge breaks in my sentences and reciting stuff I learned of by heart is impossible, I either completely forget it or just barely stumble through it. When I'm at home, I can speak Spanish very comfortably and rapidly, though, but I'll be studying all weekend, no question.

Does anyone have any good tips for relaxing, getting into the right frame of mind, how to get the examiner to talk about what I want, and any general tips for manners, making a good impression, and whatever else?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

RingoIRL wrote: »
    I was insanely nervous in my Irish oral today, and it definitely took chunks out of my grade, I more than likely failed it (I do ordinary and just need to pass it in June, so it doesn't matter all that much, but still). My Irish Mock oral went really well considering how bad I am at the language, I was just very comfortable and it was relaxing, and my teacher is a really sound lad.

Spanish is next, and my mock was awful, I was a nervous wreck there too. I don't get along with my teacher, which probably added to the nerves, but I got a decent mark, I think it was 70/100 for general conversation. I want to push this up to 80/100 or above, but I'm terrified that I will be just as nervous on Monday, and this one is very important to me.

I rub my face a lot, huge breaks in my sentences and reciting stuff I learned of by heart is impossible, I either completely forget it or just barely stumble through it. When I'm at home, I can speak Spanish very comfortably and rapidly, though, but I'll be studying all weekend, no question.

Does anyone have any good tips for relaxing, getting into the right frame of mind, how to get the examiner to talk about what I want, and any general tips for manners, making a good impression, and whatever else?
    You sound really like me to be honest, and I dunno what we can do. I'm relying a lot on Spanish too! One tip is to sit on your hands and force eye contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Im in the same boat as both of ye too! I have my Spanish oral on Monday and to be honest, I dont find Spanish hard, its thinking of things to say, that I am capable of saying en Espanol, that I cant do under pressure :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Hi, can I just say one thing to people about an oral exam. You don't start off an oral exam at 100% and lose marks as you talk and make mistakes, you start it at 0% and gain marks the more you say. The examiner is there to give you as many marks as they can. So instead of worrying about making mistakes when you talk, just talk. The more you say the better you will do. A language is a means of communication so as long as you can get your point across you will get marks. Obviously you will get more marks if your grammar is better but say as much as you can. Give the impression that you can communicate. good luck people.

Advertisement