Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to study

Options
  • 03-04-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Currently in TY.
    I am doing 6 subjects in school
    English, Maths,Geog,Chemistry,Business,Italian.
    Due to spaces I could not do biology this year(4th year)
    So I am going to do in 5th year.
    I was wondering will I still be okay, as in I would had missed a whole year of biology,would it be really hard to catch up.

At home I am doing Economics, I am planning to take on Ag.Science with the school in 5th year.
    So that is in total 8 subjects I would be doing, Economics at home.
    But the main subjects that I will be focusing on more is all of them apart from Italian and English.

When should I be starting to study for Economics which I will be studying at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hiya, no idea re Economics question but re Biology, you have not (or certainly should not have) missed a whole year of Biology - it's a 2 year course which is designed to be completed in 5th and 6th year. Leaving Cert material is not to be covered during Transition Year, as this would put students who choose not to do Transition Year at a huge disadvantage entering 5th year. So don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hiya, no idea re Economics question but re Biology, you have not (or certainly should not have) missed a whole year of Biology - it's a 2 year course which is designed to be completed in 5th and 6th year. Leaving Cert material is not to be covered during Transition Year, as this would put students who choose not to do Transition Year at a huge disadvantage entering 5th year. So don't worry!

Thanks for boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Economics can be covered in less than 12 months.

I'd advise you to slowly make your way through it during 5th year though and up the intensity in 6th year.

This is a vague answer but how about you just focus on nailing MicroEconomics for the best part of 5th year?

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Economics can be covered in less than 12 months.

I'd advise you to slowly make your way through it during 5th year though and up the intensity in 6th year.

This is a vague answer but how about you just focus on nailing MicroEconomics for the best part of 5th year?

Thanks for advice.
    I looked at MicroEonomics, it is not that confusing so hopefully give a good go

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I started economics in the middle of fifth year and I had pretty much the whole course covered by this January, just a few more things to tweak here and there I have a really good grinds teacher tho so maybe try and find someone who can make the more complicated sections clear? But honestly a lot of economics is just pure learning from the book and practising exam papers. It's a nice subject if you work well at it.

Also in regards to missing a year in biology, you haven't. The course is designed for two years not three. You're not meant to even start it in fourth year so of course you can take it up in fifth.
    I never understand when I hear about people doing coursework in t.y, we did nothing :pac:

Don't think so hard about the leaving cert now, just enjoy the rest of T.Y and work steadily through fifth year - you don't want to burn out early!

• Advertisement

a0ifee wrote: »
    I started economics in the middle of fifth year and I had pretty much the whole course covered by this January, just a few more things to tweak here and there I have a really good grinds teacher tho so maybe try and find someone who can make the more complicated sections clear? But honestly a lot of economics is just pure learning from the book and practising exam papers. It's a nice subject if you work well at it.

Also in regards to missing a year in biology, you haven't. The course is designed for two years not three. You're not meant to even start it in fourth year so of course you can take it up in fifth.
    I never understand when I hear about people doing coursework in t.y, we did nothing :pac:

Don't think so hard about the leaving cert now, just enjoy the rest of T.Y and work steadily through fifth year - you don't want to burn out early!

Thanks for taking the time out, to write a lovely piece of advice.

Advertisement