Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any advice on a used 520d?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Just avoid the 177bhp versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

If ya were to resale that here it'd be fairly worthless , but if your buying that for yourself you'd be better off spending a couple if grand more and shaving off 50ish miles.

I'm familiar with this co bought a couple of cars from them.

Altogether an ok experience.

You'd want to get them to email you the service history though and there's no warranty from them. There won't be any warranty from manufacterer either due to mileage. So factor service,tyres flights etc.

Car could be ok but they retail a LOT of cars and wouldn't know one from another.

Best of luck. Any questions go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Don't hear good stories about Big Motoring World, rude salesmen, poor attitude.

Look up some reviews.

The salesperson wasn't too nice when I was inquiring through live chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Is there any real advantage in going to the UK? Most F10s over there are poverty spec 520d SEs, the same as in Ireland. While some cars are certainly bought with bigger and more powerful engines and much better spec in the UK than in Ireland, I've seen plenty of F10s in Britain and there's little to no difference between the Irish and English cars for spec or engine on F10s anyway. At least with the older 5s, like the E60, the British tended to buy the 525s and 530s but I live in the UK now and have seen feck all F10s that are 525d upwards.

It's different with the F30 3 series, as most are 320ds (rather than poverty spec 316ds that are the norm in Ireland) and you will see plenty of 318d plus some petrols and xDrive models, not to mention a few 330ds, and plenty of M Sports and high spec models, but I can't see anything go get excited about when it comes to F10s in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 5 Series is a big fleet favourite in the UK, it even outsells the 3 Series, so much so that they introduced the 520d Efficient Dynamic model in the UK a few years back with lower BIK. This has since been replaced with the 518d when the 5er got a facelift. Anything out of the norm tends to stay within the BMW dealer network as they are most likely privately owned and traded up for a younger model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

£13k plus VRT for a ten-a-penny five series with the overrated and not that tough 1.9l four cylinder diesel?! 111000 miles too. I'd jog on at quite the clip if I were the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

coolbeans wrote: »
    £13k plus VRT for a ten-a-penny five series with the overrated and not that tough 1.9l four cylinder diesel?! 111000 miles too. I'd jog on at quite the clip if I were the OP.

???

F10, even an 520d is massively superior to 99% of what's on the road.

???

F10, even an 520d is massively superior to 99% of what's on the road.

Clearly I wouldn't agree. How is it massively superior again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Clearly I wouldn't agree. How is it massively superior again?
    Faster. More comfortable . More refined. Better to drive.

I know it's not the last word, but compared to what's out there it's a sweet car.

• Advertisement

Faster. More comfortable . More refined. Better to drive.

I know it's not the last word, but compared to what's out there it's a sweet car.

That may be so but this one is leggy and pricey. A diesel Beemer with that mileage running on Irish diesel will likely have big and continuous maintenance costs just around the corner. Very offputting no matter how good they're perceived to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

That may be so but this one is leggy and pricey. A diesel Beemer with that mileage running on Irish diesel will likely have big and continuous maintenance costs just around the corner. Very offputting no matter how good they're perceived to be.

Pray tell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

After about 80k miles in the UK most owners give up on their cars (deeming them to be scrap and be someone elses problem shortly) and the maintenance suffers. No longer do they get money no object servicing, suspension bushes, bodywork repairs and tyres. Cars also can get unreliable depending on make/model and wear out as the miles rack up.
    In Ireland the figure is probably at 20k miles:pac:
    If you get something around 70k miles with full verifiable service history/receipts and good tyres for a bit more that would make more sense and then look after it should run for a long time hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

lomb wrote: »
    After about 80k miles in the UK most owners give up on their car.

What a load of tripe. Maybe on puntos, but F10s?? BS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Although it's not very helpful to the OPs query, I must say that the F10 is one of the most impressive "normal" cars I've driven in quite a while. The basic 520 SE still has a fantastic spec and it drives really nicely with the auto box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mullingar wrote: »
    What a load of tripe. Maybe on puntos, but F10s?? BS

Disagree, they will end up on the scrap heap same as any other car. Obviously being 2010 on only 4 years old and valuable with average of say 40k miles so most are still very cared for and within service network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Ned67, no pictures so hard to say too much on it. On the features list, the only stand outs would seem to be Professional Multimedia with 10" display (would probably give you voice command and limited iPhone usb and connected drive (if you can get connected drive activated over here)), but the big screen is nice. Otherwise the 'dynamic stability control plus' might be the variable dampers, but probably not, so again standard. Audio is standard.

On that basis sounds a bit like a fairly standard, UK, manual efficient dynamics model with high miles. Nothing on the description suggests otherwise. Hence the money. Maybe its an auto, but doesn't look likely.

The vast majority of the other features are all standard, from the trim to the wheels, seats and otherwise.

Keep looking I'm afraid, doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Advertisement