Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me to choose between those 2 bikes

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I need to choose one between those 2 necessarily, and I will greatly appreciate if any expert about bikes could have a look and suggest me which one of those 2 would be best:

Scott sub 25
    http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/221822/sub-25/

and this one:
    Felt xcity 3
    http://2010.feltracing.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/X-CITY/X-CITY-Series/X-City-3.aspx

Felt model has only 3 gears, which I don't mind (so please to consider this aspect when suggesting me one of those 2) at all.
    My concerns are about which one has better quality components , which one is the sturdiest and which one between the 2 would likely be the fastest considering the tyres they're mounting (the size should be the same 700x37 although I ignore which tyre would be fastest on the road).

I'd use it mostly to ride about 18km a day (on road) . Like I said I need to choose which one between those 2 had better quality and would be faster.
    The felt cost 50 euro less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would go with the 3-speed Felt as it has disc brakes. These operate more consistently in all conditions and require less regular maintenance (rim cleaning, pad changes) than the V-brakes.

In either case your tyre choices ought to be limited to tyres which are very puncture proof (and therefore not necessarily fast or nice to ride) because fixing a puncture on a hub-geared bike is a total PITA.

Have you ridden them both? That would be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 byebytoad

Thanks a lot for the advice.
    I didn't ride them , as I didn't think the shop would let me do that.

Easiness to maintenance is indeed a main concern to me, particularly as I'm not good or have any knowledge of it.
    So you advice is very helpful on that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 byebytoad

Thanks a lot for the advice.
    I didn't ride them , as I didn't think the shop would let me do that.

Easiness to maintenance is indeed a main concern to me, particularly as I'm not good or have any knowledge of it.
    So you advice is very helpful on that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

byebytoad wrote: »
    Hub gears are a reasonable choice for someone who wants to just bring the bike to a shop once a year for an annual service, that's why they're so popular in countries where cycling is a normal mode of transport.

A derailleur-equipped bike is more fun to ride at high speed as there's less drag in the drivetrain.

If you want to wear normal clothes and cycle at a non-sweaty pace, hub gears are great. Just don't expect to win any commuter races. :)

Advertisement