Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All TV 3 Staff Offered Redundancy - The End?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow's Sun newspaper is reporting that all TV 3 staff have been offered redundancy.

Given the pending arrival of UTV Ireland, does this decision mean an end to TV 3! They are losing Coronation Street, Emmerdale and many of their line up to UTV Ireland and they lost the GAA rights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What will Vinnie B do now?????

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Where o where will we see 'travellers on CCTV danger dont leave your house' shows. Sorry to hear of anyone losing their job but it has been total crap. I'd say you could count on one hand the number of must-see programmes they ever produced (I cant think of one, but I'm sure there's been a few).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it really shutting down totally or are they just laying off some staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Where o where will we see 'travellers on CCTV danger dont leave your house' shows. Sorry to hear of anyone losing their job but it has been total crap. I'd say you could count on one hand the number of must-see programmes they ever produced (I cant think of one, but I'm sure there's been a few).

I agree, I won't miss them if they do go or change to just showing American programmes, with absolutely no domestic programmes at all and no news.

I will miss VB, that's it. They completely failed to provide an adequate news alternative to RTE News, something that ITV could do against the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well, I disagree altogether. I thought they made a really good fist of those tiresome reality TV shows - Apprentice, Sleb Salon, etc. Also, some of tv3's recent docs - on Savita, Seb Creane, etc - got a lot of popular acclaim.
    We'd be quite lost without Ballymount...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

So there's definitely no chance of a second series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMuziRzKWk8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Interesting. They have some sh1te. They compete in daytime tv but not with evening/night-time tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

They got both barrels; UTV and GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The TV3 Chief Executive, David McRedmond, was on Sean O'Rourke's programme on Radio 1 today talking about their new soap and future acquisitions. I would be surprised if they are closing down.

It might be a PR move to get the BAI to relax some of their licence requirements.

Skid X wrote: »
    The TV3 Chief Executive, David McRedmond, was on Sean O'Rourke's programme on Radio 1 today talking about their new soap and future acquisitions. I would be surprised if they are closing down.

It might be a PR move to get the BAI to relax some of their licence requirements.

In the hope of reducing how much original programming they have to do? That's certainly likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They should merge with UTV Ireland. Together, they could probably be a strong rival to RTE. It would be in UTV's interest too - TV3 have a couple of well-established and decent programmes, and also have the much-coveted 103 and 105 on the Sky EPG.

RayM wrote: »
    They should merge with UTV Ireland. Together, they could probably be a strong rival to RTE. It would be in UTV's interest too - TV3 have a couple of well-established and decent programmes, and also have the much-coveted 103 and 105 on the Sky EPG.

And maybe, combined they could offer an alternative tv news source to the all powerful RTE News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Slash their makeup budget. That way they won't all, including Vincenzo, look like Coco the Clown on their smeary and overlit broadcast picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

I would never take a Sun article as gospel but it does make sense. UTV Ireland was always going to force them out by taking their biggest shows. I imagine UTV will take on a number of the TV3 stalwarts

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Slash their makeup budget. That way they won't all, including Vincenzo, look like Coco the Clown on their smeary and overlit broadcast picture.

But sure Vincent is probably as white as a ghost. Ain't nobody got time for that! Seriously like! You don't want to be estimating how many months someone has to live based on their pallor while trying to listen to them making serious points. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

sopretty wrote: »
    But sure Vincent is probably as white as a ghost. Ain't nobody got time for that! Seriously like! You don't want to be estimating how many months someone has to live based on their pallor while trying to listen to them making serious points. :)

Well if they didn't have such crap production values they probably wouldn't need so much clown make up.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Well if they didn't have such crap production values they probably wouldn't need so much clown make up.

What are these 'crap production values' you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Kinda makes me sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Where will the vacuous Xposé presenters go?

There is a vigil planned at the Powerscourt Centre this Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hate to see people losing their jobs, but I hate that station more. All those terrible crime documentaries, ten year old shows, Alan Cantwell, all those are forgivable...but not Xposé. Worst thing Ireland has ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭squonk

Doesn't make sense! It's almost like they're being the business equivalent of World War France and capitulating before any battle starts. Apologies to any French readers! They might be restructuring to cut costs making them better able to competer OR, and I think this is more plausable, trimming deadwood to produce a more efficient organisation which makes them look more ripe for takeover by, well, let's just say, UTV. I'm sure the people behind it are interested in the bottom line at the end of the day and, if the fact that they'd be a good fit with UTV hasn't escaped us, it's certainly not escaped their management either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This might explain partly why the GAA didnt sell the championship rights to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

TV3 confirms it is offering voluntary redundancy scheme

TV3 has confirmed that it is offering voluntary redundancy packages to a number of staff members. A statement from the broadcaster says the number of people leaving is unlikely to be more than nine.

TV3 says it comes at a time it is changing its programming strategy to a focus on 'originated content'.

In a statement, TV3 says it will offer "a Voluntary Leaving Scheme to a small number of staff whose positions will become redundant because of changes to the way that the company operates".

"The scheme has been introduced to offer flexible options to our staff at a time when TV3's programming strategy is changing to reflect an increased focus on originated content".

It says that even after the scheme, the firm's headcount will be higher than a year ago. It adds that Voluntary Leave Schemes are regularly offered to staff within the business and are not unusual.

It follows earlier newspaper reports that all staff were being offered voluntary redundancy.

The independent broadcaster lost out in the latest GAA TV deal after Sky Sports secured 14 live matches.

While it is also to lose some of its primetime content, after UTV Ireland signed a 10-year deal with the BAI to broadcast ITV shows such as 'Coronation Street' and 'Emmerdale', currently shown on TV3.

The channel has also recently built a 5,000 square-foot HD studio off the M50 motorway in Dublin. It is the biggest purpose-built HD TV facility in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Once they loose coronation street i wont be viewing them again, complete crap of a network, full of repeats of reality tv and other such nonsense, they dont deserve to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They do have excellent presenters,something RTE seem incapable of achieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kneemos wrote: »
    They do have excellent presenters,something RTE seem incapable of achieving.

Are they off screen, as i aint never seen one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Grayditch wrote: »
    I hate to see people losing their jobs, but I hate that station more. All those terrible crime documentaries, ten year old shows, Alan Cantwell, all those are forgivable...but not Xposé. Worst thing Ireland has ever produced.

I'd say Cantwell is pissed off now, how many years redundancy would he have got?

I also feel sorry for Glenda Gilson, it's a bit early for her to be put out to pasture..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Advertisement