Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your opinion: writing two stories that kind of take place at the same time

Options
  • 02-04-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Let me explain:

I'm currently writing a fantasy novel, following the quest of ONE character. For a while I've been thinking of what's going to happen in the second book (if I do manage to finish the first one), and mostly it's going to be following a different character, doing his own stuff roughly at the same time. At the end of the timeline, their stories would meet, which is why I thought "Hey, maybe instead of writing two books, I can write one, alternating chapters following each of the two main characters".

My question is:

In your opinion, and possibly in your experience, would it be better to first finish the story of the first character until before they meet, and then start writing the chapters with the other and inserting them, finishing with how they meet and how the story ends, OR write both at the same time, which means I'd have to go back to the beginning?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It depends on how you write.

If it was me, I'd pick up the new character now and work him in to the remainder, then backtrack and slide him in here and there, working out your timelines.

That's because to me, getting to the end is really the big aim. You have your story and you've got to the end. Working on the narrative structure to highlight what the important things are come after that in my head.

I'd be afraid of going back to the start to insert the new character, as it would increase the chance of me running out of steam and out of love with the story. I'd be afraid of never getting to the end.

But then again, I'm sure others will say that they'd prefer to go back, in case the new character reveals another ending that you'll like better. An ending you might write off if you've already got there previously.

I'm in the former camp, though. Completely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd definitely prefer writing the two simultaneously. I might be projecting though, as I wrote six simultaneous stories in my last book :D

1Q84 is one of the finest examples of alternating characters, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Metallucas

Thanks for your inputs. Pickarooney, I definitely would have written both simultaneously if I had known when I started that this was where I wanted to take the story (also my current hero is kind of an a-hole so having a second character that's a true good guy might make readers more likely to care about the story).

I think right now I'm more convinced with Das Kitty's opinion, first because it's closer to my original plan of having a second book for the other character. There's a good chance the ending I've planned for the story as a whole will change once I start exploring him but since they will have no influence on each other until their timelines meet it shouldn't make me revise anything (also I'd be afraid of losing my momentum)

Of course I'm open to other opinions, so I can still be convinced to go back to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Another vote for moving forward with both characters but not revisiting the earlier ones until after you've reached the end (at least an initial end). But any time a thought occurs to you that affects what would happen in an earlier phase of the book, write it down - even just as the briefest of notes. It's amazing how easy it is to forget all the ideas you had if you don't record them on the spot - or maybe that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Why not see if you can work a few mentions of your second character into the first book, without really telling his story. Scott Turow has done this regularly. Taken a minor character from one novel and making them the lead in anothery story. it gives his work a continuity that I like. Almost creates a whole self contained world for his stories, which may be a good idea for a fantasy novel. This may not suit what you want, just throwing the idea out there.

Edit - Or maybe he already is a character in your first novel ? Not really clear from your first post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement