Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Portable planer thicknesser please

Options
  • 02-04-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm in the market my Metabo gave up the ghost so looking for a replacement.
    What would your good selves recommend cost efficient solution.
    Mainly used on site.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A planer andthicknesser will be a bit heavy to lug around. If you can find a secondhand Scheppach 260 its mainly made from rolled steel including the tables. I think their rubber roller system is the best ( no indentation marks ) . 220 volt only afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

recipio wrote: »
    A planer andthicknesser will be a bit heavy to lug around. If you can find a secondhand Scheppach 260 its mainly made from rolled steel including the tables. I think their rubber roller system is the best ( no indentation marks ) . 220 volt only afaik.

Is it 8" or 12" need the 12 for jointing boards & many thanks for the response.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Is it 8" or 12" need the 12 for jointing boards & many thanks for the response.

The Scheppach is actually 10 ". I have one for 20 years without a single problem. Do you mean a planer and thicknesser. ? Its a lot easier to get one of those brush motor thicknessers which are usually wider.

I must look out for one of them 260's thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I have the 260, superb machine, but I wouldn't class it as portable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Dewalt do a good one had it for years insure and home jobs etc.110v etc. Dewalt 12.5 inch cutter but the newer model gas 13" blades. Good machine.

Expensive thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

lgk wrote: »

+1
    My father has one, lovely machine, but even with the base removed it couldn't be classed as a portable machine.

:rolleyes: Two men would manage it. Its a bit better than the cast iron tables they are now fitting. !

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

recipio wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Two men would manage it. Its a bit better than the cast iron tables they are now fitting. !

Ah, I see mine (8/9 years old now) is the 260ci which is something like 125kg, with cast iron tables. I still have visions of the poor chap from McQuillans who delivered mine when he saw the steps up to my place!

• Advertisement

Ah, I see mine (8/9 years old now) is the 260ci which is something like 125kg, with cast iron tables. I still have visions of the poor chap from McQuillans who delivered mine when he saw the steps up to my place!

Yes, the original HM260 had steel tables and they were fine. Scheppach decided the trade wanted cast iron tables and started buying them in from China. The 260 is no longer made, they have another 10" model with a permanently on thicknesser drive which is a step down in quality imho.

Anyone selling a 260 pm if you are I hope this is Ok with the mods.

Advertisement