Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone help me with this probability question?

Options
  • 02-04-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I think I am missing something kind of obvious here, my head is wrecked from orals so I'm not at my most alert!
    "In a certain city, 60% of cars are from country A, 30% are from country B and 10% are from C.30% of cars from country A, 25% of cars from country B and 20% of cars from country C last for 10 years or more".
    find the probability that:
    (i) A car, bought at random in this city will last for 10 years or more.
    (ii) A car will last for 10 years or more given that it is NOT from country A
    (iii) A car is from country C given that it is 10 years old.

I have answered part (i):
    A: 0.3 X 0.6=0.18
    B: 0.25 X 0.3=0.075
    C: 0.2 X 0.1= 0.02
    Adding the probabilities=0.275 chance which corresponds to text book

the next answers are (ii)=0.2375 and (iii)=0.072

Cannot get the next 2 :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Hi, you've done the first part correctly. Here's how to do the next two parts.

(ii) If it is not from country A, it is from the remaining 40% of cars. From part i, we've worked out that 7.5% of cars from B last ten years and 2% from C last ten years. 7.5+2.5=9.5 -> 9.5/40=0.2375

(iii) Also from part i, we can see that 27.5% of cars last ten years or more. 2% of these are from country C. Therefore .02/.275=.0727272

Let me know if you still don't understand and I'll try to explain it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Thanks a million!

Advertisement