Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Finding a job

• 02-04-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭ mistress_gi

Hi everyone!
    I have submitted my PhD thesis (Yei) and I am now looking for a job in research. Now this is the most frustrating thing I have ever gone through. I've been getting some interviews but not gotten a single job.
    The feedback I get ranges from not being enthusiastic enough to being too confident with a smidge of too qualified and not enough experience.
    Rant over :)
    So basically how do I go about getting a position?
    Advice, opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Black Swan

I presented a paper at an academic conference and got a research employment offer from someone in the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ubercool

What type of research job? A post-doc fellowship, a faculty position, etc?

Please elaborate so we can give a more informed response.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭ mistress_gi

Ideally I would like to go straight into a faculty position, I love teaching and I would like to keep my career going into that direction. Unfortunately, the way universities are geared I need to go into a post-doc (or a couple) in order to get such positions.
    So I am looking for post docs and/or technical work related to academia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ robp

Ideally I would like to go straight into a faculty position, I love teaching and I would like to keep my career going into that direction. Unfortunately, the way universities are geared I need to go into a post-doc (or a couple) in order to get such positions.
    So I am looking for post docs and/or technical work related to academia

I think the jobs relating to research are usually well advertised but there rarely is many. Maybe a safer way is to fund your own post-doc with Irish or EU grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭ djpbarry

Ideally I would like to go straight into a faculty position...
    Going straight from a PhD into a faculty position is virtually unheard of these days - you need more experience.

The best site I know of for looking for advertised post-doc positions is www.jobs.ac.uk.

It's mostly UK-based positions, but there's some stuff in there in Ireland and further afield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement