Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

front wheel dished

Options
  • 02-04-2014 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

as title states front wheel of my bike is dished to one side by a few mm. i am also having issues with the bike shaking on descents at relatively low speeds 36 -38 kph could the two be related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

pikefisher wrote: »
    as title states front wheel of my bike is dished to one side by a few mm. i am also having issues with the bike shaking on descents at relatively low speeds 36 -38 kph could the two be related

Got all your spokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pikefisher

ya

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If as you say the wheel is dished then chances are it's not a 'uniform' dish and so your going to get wobble at speed.

Sort out the 'dish' problem and I'd say your speed wobble will disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pikefisher

thanks cj but the rim seems to be totally off center with the axle . i have a bigger gap on one side between the fork and wheel, when i reverse the wheel in the forks the gap moves to the other side, the wheel is running quite straight just seems to have an incorrect dish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

pikefisher wrote: »
    thanks cj but the rim seems to be totally off center with the axle . i have a bigger gap on one side between the fork and wheel, when i reverse the wheel in the forks the gap moves to the other side, the wheel is running quite straight just seems to have an incorrect dish .

It sounds as if it would be something you could correct by loosening the spokes on the side closest to tbe fork blades and tightenine on the other side, pulling the rim into centre. I would loosen all the spokes until the threads become visible. If using a spoke wrench, clockwise is loosening; counter-clockwise is tightening. Once all the spokes are loose, tighten each spoke one full turn. If you start by the valve, it's easier to keep track. Once the spokes begin toget tight, you can begin to make decisions about whether one side or another needs a quarter or half or full turn more or less than the other in order to center the wheel. The process is slow, and it is easy to get confused and make mistakes--after hours of work, more than once, I had to start over--but patience and persistence pays off. I've trued two wheels in an evening, to give you an idea of the time it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

You should bring your bike to your local bike shop and get it sorted by a professional.

Advertisement